Milled lumber burning hazard?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
Here is something I came across. Article claims logs are moved in the ocean salt water, soak up salt, and corrode your stove and chimney liner when burned. A lot of milled lumber does come from the authors area, the Pacific Northwest where salt water ponds and transport are common. Salt water absorption and a variety of chemicals are used in the milling process. I never would have guessed.
I live close to the Sierra Mountains, and frequently see logging trucks on their way to the saw mill. I don't know where the mill is, or if they use salt ponds as described in the article. I would tend to doubt it. I have a large pile of pallets I had cut up for kindling, rethinking that now.
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/homillends.htm

Reactions: ScotO
Yes, I've read this before. You definately do not want to burn mill slabs that have been transported in log barges in the ocean. I'd say you'd probably be OK to burn 2x scraps being they are from the inside of the log. That's my opinion anyway......

Yes, I've read this before. You definitely do not want to burn mill slabs that have been transported in log barges in the ocean. I'd say you'd probably be OK to burn 2x scraps being they are from the inside of the log. That's my opinion anyway......
That would be my opinion also, but they also soak the whole unit of finished boards in fungicide, and a slough of other chemicals. also, tha capillary action of the logs is stated as the danger in salt waster soaked logs. The salt IS in the inside of the log.

That would be my opinion also, but they also soak the whole unit of finished boards in fungicide, and a slough of other chemicals. also, tha capillary action of the logs is stated as the danger in salt waster soaked logs. The salt IS in the inside of the log.
I burn very very little scraps in my stove (usually just a couple slivers of 2x4 scraps on a start up), but I can see where one that uses mill ends and 2x scraps constantly may be concerned. Gives you some food for thought. One thing to keep in mind is the interior of your fluepipe isn't exposed to a lot of those gasses once there is a layer of soot on it, at least that would be my assumption. I have yet to ever hear of anyone burning out their stove or stainless chimney, and I know lots of people who burn scraps exclusively.....

Status
Not open for further replies.