Milling for Friday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Just finished sharpening three milling chains, the plans are for me to finish up the two I started last year then drop the topped of White Pine so I can start milling that Saturday.

Zap 100_4903.JPG100_4916.JPG

Reactions: smokinj
looks great Zap. I may have to get one of those chainsaw mills, I think it would work good on the 051AV........

looks great Zap. I may have to get one of those chainsaw mills, I think it would work good on the 051AV........
I'm sure it would, how many cc's is it?

zap

Looks good Zap. Any morels out there yet?

I've never seen any but we have plenty of wild leeks.

zap

That will make some nice boards. For our coffee table I'm milling some two inch thick White Pine late tomorrow or Saturday morning.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
Hi Zap,

They look nice. We've also been doing some milling over the past week or so. A fairly big lime tree (I think you guys call it Bass?) dropped a stem near the house and we wanted a few boards for the sides of our new wood shed.

What chainsaw mill do you have? We have been using a logosol timberjig which has worked pretty well. Need a bigger saw though as the MS341 just isn't powerful enough.

We got approx 25 1" by 6" by 9ft boards from 4 sections of trunk.

Mike

I'm milling with the 660 Stihl. I had help from Smokin when I was picking out what saw to use, so far we have milled up White Pine & Hemlock.

We have a chit load of Basswood, how did it mill?

zap

Looking Awesome!

The day started out chitty, forgot the hi-lift jack, grabbed the wrong chain so I could drop the topped off Pine but I did mill up six boards from some White Pine I started last year.

The boards are milled one inch thick.

The saw ran good but I do need to turn the idle up a tad, all the equipment is cleaned so if Mother Nature holds of on the rain I'll be milling again tomorrow. Attached are a few pics from today.

zap100_4924.JPG100_4925.JPG100_4929.JPG

Attachments

• 100_4923.JPG
    100_4923.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 100_4926.JPG
    100_4926.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 100_4927.JPG
    100_4927.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 100_4928.JPG
    100_4928.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 209
Awesome and love the down hill slide!

Yes, it worked out pretty good, had to go back for the hi-lift jack but it was worth it. Near the end of last year I bought some Woodland Pro Ripping chain, it's different from Carlton's ripping chain, that was the chain I grabbed for the 28 inch bar so I could drop the topped off pine.

zap

Yes, it worked out pretty good, had to go back for the hi-lift jack but it was worth it. Near the end of last year I bought some Woodland Pro Ripping chain, it's different from Carelton's ripping chain, that was the chain I grabbed for the 28 inch bar so I could drop the topped off pine.

zap

I have only used the woodlawn pro so cant compair other than modded chains.

I just emailed Carlton to see why every other cutter is smaller, Woodland Pro are all the same size.

zap

Awesome and love the down hill slide!
Smokin, I had a guy answer my question about the cutters on the chain, the smaller (A in the picture) is a scoring cutter and the other is a clearing cutter.

zapchain1a.jpg

I've gotta try that on some of the Shagbark Hickory I have.

What size is the Shagbark Hickory?

zap

looks good zap, i have been milling some Oak, it has been coming out real nice and the Bobcat sure comes in handy for lifting it up on top of cement blocks to help the back. The biggest issue I have had with milled boards is splitting, the cherry I milled split pretty badly, even if I waxed the ends. I am sure there is still a lot of useable wood but I hate to see it split. Are you seeing much splitting on last year's boards?

Not yet on the splitting but I need to move all those boards to a better location. How thick was the stuff that split? I'm having a brain cramp, I see your name has changed, what was the old one?

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.