Milling Video

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good job and nice dance at the end,but I have to tell you just watching the first 25 seconds really made my back hurt!

Gary

So far my back is fine, once you get the log up the milling is the easy part. I never could get the log the way I wanted it so I just left it like you see it then started milling.

zap

Wow.... Did it with an Old School Saw too...

Thanks Zap... Been lookin forward to that video for 2 weeks now...

Love the Happy Dance at the End! ;) Love it

Reactions: zap
Awesome work zap....thanks for sharing..
I did not expect the happy dance...LMFAO...that's the best.
sFun_crazydance.gif

Wow that is awesome makes me want one! totally sweet Zap

Reactions: zap
Gamma, that little guy sure can dance, if you put a vid up of you actually stacking some firewood I'll put one up of me milling then doing my best imitation of the smiley man dance.

zap

So that's how it's done! How do you get the first couple of cuts off the round so straight & true?

So that's how it's done! How do you get the first couple of cuts off the round so straight & true?

Ditto that^^^ , I want one of those saw attachments (the dance i assume was for home depot...telling them to "go pound sand"! LOL)
I was little sketched out by that first 2' of cutting though (i would want some kind of armor protection in front of my chest/stomach area) Yikes!is that safe?
Is that a husky? size blade? this is pure awsomeness... ive got to try this chit someday =P

I use the milling rails, you can level it right to left then secure it, set your depth on your mill and your off. Once that cut is made you remove the top, reset your depth for the thickness of boards you want then start milling again.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4939.JPG
    100_4939.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 188
Reactions: Realstone and ScotO
Ditto that^^^ , I want one of those saw attachments (the dance i assume was for home depot...telling them to "go pound sand"! LOL)
I was little sketched out by that first 2' of cutting though (i would want some kind of armor protection in front of my chest/stomach area) Yikes!is that safe?
Is that a husky? size blade? this is pure awsomeness... ive got to try this chit someday =P

Husky is a bad word in this house ;) , Stihl 075 with the 36 inch bar.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
Zap, great video. Very clear. Wish I had your land, trees and equipment. The dance was hysterical.

Reactions: ScotO
Awesome vid brother! Me and the kids loved watchin it, they esp. loved the little 'jig' at the end! I think that saw is running spot on, sounds like a good ol' torquey 075 is supposed to! I most definately gotta get the mill now, so the next couple jobs I guess I'll be saving a couple bucks and buying one. Jeeez.......she's not gonna be happy!:confused:

As big of a PITA it is to post them to YouTube, keep them videos coming! I'll start doing more vids too, I usually don't have anyone to film on our jobsites 'cause we are all working our azzes off!

Husky is a bad word in this house ;) , Stihl 075 with the 36 inch bar.

zap

damb....shhhh... i got a husky :S why is stihl so damb good? they are so expensive and parts are only sold to dealers :(

Is there anything preventing a kickback in that first foot of cutting when your so exposed to death?

whats a decent model of this attachment for a noob homeowner who has access to free tree's?
how much are they? can they attach to any chainsaw?
thanks for your insight zap!

damb....shhhh... i got a husky :S why is stihl so damb good? they are so expensive and parts are only sold to dealers :(

Is there anything preventing a kickback in that first foot of cutting when your so exposed to death?

whats a decent model of this attachment for a noob homeowner who has access to free tree's?

thanks for your insight zap!
the bar is encased (more or less) by the mill assembly, not to mention the bulk and weight of the mill. Not to mention that kickback is caused by the tip of the bar, which in the case of milling the tip is totally hidden from the cut.....virtually NO CHANCE of kickback when milling with a Granberg......

Reactions: Thistle
the bar is encased (more or less) by the mill assembly, not to mention the bulk and weight of the mill. Not to mention that kickback is caused by the tip of the bar, which in the case of milling the tip is totally hidden from the cut.....virtually NO CHANCE of kickback when milling with a Granberg......

thanks Scott, can you touch on the edited questions i added to my previous post as well? TY

damb....shhhh... i got a husky :S why is stihl so damb good?
Because it's a Stihl!;)

kickback occurs mainly from the nose (or bar sprocket) which is not exposed during this particular type of milling.

Lots of different models look around on the internet for chainsaw mill. I believe Zap's mill is a Granberg, he is running a Stihl 075 (111cc) in the video with a 36" Stihl Rollomatic bar/chain.......

how much are they? can they attach to any chainsaw?
They can range from around 150 dollars to several thousand dollars, depending on what you want. Everything from chainsaw mills to chainsaw-powered bandmills to actual portable sawmills.....the sky's the limit!

Awesome vid brother! Me and the kids loved watchin it, they esp. loved the little 'jig' at the end! I think that saw is running spot on, sounds like a good ol' torquey 075 is supposed to! I most definately gotta get the mill now, so the next couple jobs I guess I'll be saving a couple bucks and buying one. Jeeez.......she's not gonna be happy!:confused:

As big of a PITA it is to post them to YouTube, keep them videos coming! I'll start doing more vids too, I usually don't have anyone to film on our jobsites 'cause we are all working our azzes off!
I'm pretty sure that dance would have got me a big old GONG, off the show zap.

No no no....if you're anything like me the dance at the end comes completely natural. I give it a '10'. Great video Zappy!

Reactions: DexterDay
Great stuff Zap.Nice dance too lol. The white pine is nice,but I really like the color & grain pattern of the hemlock more.

Great stuff Zap.Nice dance too lol. The white pine is nice,but I really like the color & grain pattern of the hemlock more.

His saw sliced through that tree like a hot knife through butter (i wish i could make my saws do that) Im feeling like i have to work 10x as hard as him to do half the amount of cutting he just did (id like to watch him try some oak next time, id be interested in that). ... im going to start trolling Craigslist for one of these mills, if only my saws could work like that one... =\

His saw sliced through that tree like a hot knife through butter (i wish i could make my saws do that) Im feeling like i have to work 10x as hard as him to do half the amount of cutting he just did (id like to watch him try some oak next time, id be interested in that). ... im going to start trolling Craigslist for one of these mills, if only my saws could work like that one... =\
What husqvarna do you have? (Model?)

That is a very large saw Zap is running and milling chains are different angle than your standard chisel or possibly picco (depending on what saws you have) chain. Im sure his chain is razor sharp too.

If your chain is sharp and your saw has decent displacement (cc's) then you shouldn't have to do any work.

Im looking forward to getting a Mill one day. My biggest saw is the MS 460. Which may or may not be big enough. I know its got more than enough, for standard firewood cutting. Its a crazy fast and violent saw to run. But I will probably buy a 660, when I do finally start to Mill. Thats a little while down the road. Once the kiddo's get a little older and I have more free time.

Lots of info here on Milling though. Several members have them (Smokin, Thistle, Zap) to name a few. All wise in the way of the Saw/Mill. All willing to answer questions. I will sit back and soak in as much as I can. Till I finally get one.

Im looking forward to getting a Mill one day. My biggest saw is the MS 460. Which may or may not be big enough.
Thats plenty enough to mill some wood with (ask smokinJ, he mills with an MS192 occasionally!)
Lots of info here on Milling though. Several members have them (Smokin, Thistle, Zap) to name a few. All wise in the way of the Saw/Mill. All willing to answer questions. I will sit back and soak in as much as I can. Till I finally get one.
A big +1 for this statement! This is turning into a great brotherhood of people here on Hearth.com.:)

Reactions: DexterDay
I use the milling rails, you can level it right to left then secure it, set your depth on your mill and your off. Once that cut is made you remove the top, reset your depth for the thickness of boards you want then start milling again.

zap
Makes sense now. How is the rail secured for the initial cut? Screwed into the log?

Status
Not open for further replies.