Today's wood score.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
Picked this up from a local saw mill. They normally sell 5000 lb bundles for $75, but when the bundles break apart, you can load as much as you can take for $40.. Rented flatbed from HD . Unfortunately, it maxes out at 3000 lb capacity. Slabs are 8.5 ft long, varying thicknesses. Widths seem to be about 10 to 12 inches. Grabbed 45 slabs. Total Spend about $80 after paying fro truck and gas. Cut pieces from 4 slabs, 2 under 20% one at 25 and one at 32. Even within a slab they thickness varies, so I'll have to test a thick section and a thin one.

EQEC8150[1].JPG

EQEC8150[1].JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobbob and NickW
Looks good, and cheap That will be easy to saw, and split. What kind of wood is it?

Looks good, and cheap That will be easy to saw, and split. What kind of wood is it?
Not 100% sure, I think it is a combination of Oak,Mable and Birch. Some looks like White Oak. Thickness varies from board to board and along the length of each board. I've cut about 60%. Some test over 30 in the thick parts and 14 in the thin spots. Most of it is 3 inches or less thick. Some pieces might go to a little over 5 . Most of the slabs are approx 8 to 10 inches wide.