Milling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
I am into the kayaks but dont have the skill set for canoe building.

Just about any idiot can build a strip canoe or kayak, you just gotta want to. I'm sure you'd do fine.

lol That would be Sweeet I am really into the kayaking....Always wanted a wooden canoe I would hoist it up in my shop.
Would be more afraid of using it in the rivers we have lots of rock action, but I can pass for an idiot!

update : Just bid on a book of ebay by Canoecraft by Ted Moores I will look into this I never would have thought about that. 12 1/2 foot one man canoe its what would be perfect around here with the seat in the center. 20 years + on these rivers and I have only seen one wooden canoe and it was sweet. PIC # 3 you can see my yak collection....

smokinjay said:
Always wanted a wooden canoe I would hoist it up in my shop.
Would be more afarid of using it in the rivers we have lots of rock action, but I can pass for an idiot!

LOL I do a fine impersonation of an idiot myself. :p

Jay, you can build them as light or as tough as you want. The wood gets encapsulated with fiberglass and epoxy at the end, so it's a damn strong composite sandwich. You can even use Kevlar cloth on the inside and S-glass on the outside and it'd be practically indestructible. If you get interested, shoot me a PM and I'll give you all the resources and info you need to make a first canoe.

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
Always wanted a wooden canoe I would hoist it up in my shop.
Would be more afarid of using it in the rivers we have lots of rock action, but I can pass for an idiot!

LOL I do a fine impersonation of an idiot myself. :p

Jay, you can build them as light or as tough as you want. The wood gets encapsulated with fiberglass and epoxy at the end, so it's a damn strong composite sandwich. You can even use Kevlar cloth on the inside and S-glass on the outside and it'd be practically indestructible. If you get interested, shoot me a PM and I'll give you all the resources and info you need to make a first canoe.

Oh I am very interested shoot them to me please........In 2006 I done 41 days stright on the river.

smokinjay said:
Oh I am very interested shoot them to me please........In 2006 I done 41 days stright on the river.

Will do. It'll take me a few days, but I'll definitely pass along what I know. In the meantime, check out my blog on the small pack canoe (like a deck-less kayak) I built for my wife a couple years ago. I still haven't done the finishing segment of the blog, but I'll get around to it one of these days.

Building Nymph

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:

Will do. It'll take me a few days, but I'll definitely pass along what I know. In the meantime, check out my blog on the small pack canoe (like a deck-less kayak) I built for my wife a couple years ago. I still haven't done the finishing segment of the blog, but I'll get around to it one of these days.

Building Nymph

That's exactly what I was talking about didnt know there was a name for it....lol what would be a good thickness to mill the ash at?

smokinjay said:
what would be a good thickness to mill the ash at?

For the strips, 3/4" after it comes out of the thickness planer, so about 1" rough milled. Only don't use ash for the strips, too heavy. All the strength of this type of construction lies in the fiberglass and epoxy, the wood only provides the shape to lay the glass and epoxy onto. The ash is good for the rails, but use clear cedar or pine for the body strips. 1" is OK for the rails, so whatever ash you don't need for the truck you can mill at 1".

Update on the milling just measured again now that I am not wore out 421 board foot. On this run..

BucksCoBernie said:
UPDATE: I just outbid you for the Canoecraft book!

just kidding!

lol battenkiller knows more than the book!

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
what would be a good thickness to mill the ash at?

For the strips, 3/4" after it comes out of the thickness planer, so about 1" rough milled. Only don't use ash for the strips, too heavy. All the strength of this type of construction lies in the fiberglass and epoxy, the wood only provides the shape to lay the glass and epoxy onto. The ash is good for the rails, but use clear cedar or pine for the body strips. 1" is OK for the rails, so whatever ash you don't need for the truck you can mill at 1".

Sounds good I know where there is a nice stright pine that need to come out as well. Its around 20-24in. and a good 14-16 foot of meat there.

Good finally a use for that pine.

MMaul said:
Good finally a use for that pine.

lol, 2 monster tuilps that should be some good slabs as well.

smokinjay said:

Yeah, I wish! :roll:

Canoecraft by Ted Moores? That's the bible, and if you want to get religious about strip-built canoes, you need a bible. ;-)

If you're interested in building kayaks, then definitely get The Strip-Built Sea Kayak, by Nick Schade. Basic kayak design and construction is covered in great detail. He also wrote Building Strip-Planked Boats, which covers the complete construction of Nymph, the canoe I built for Lady BK. That book wasn't written when I built her boat, but he published the plans in WoodenBoat magazine and I built it from that.

Jay, you look like a pretty big guy towering over that huge trunk in your avatar photo. You should know that Nymph is quite a small canoe, capable of only about 165 pounds max... boat, paddler, gear and all. You can increase the capacity by stretching it out to 12', but if going on 40 days river trips is your thing, that canoe just won't cut it. But there are dozens of canoe and kayak plans available on the Internet. You pay your money, but you usually get CAD printouts of the full-size lines and all of the station molds. No lofting (drawing lines plans full-size from a numerical table of measurements) is required, just glue the section shapes on 1/2" ply, cut them out and line them up on the construction form. Saves a lot of grief on a first boat.

BTW, if you really, really want to have fun with this, find yourself a nice clear northern white cedar log to mill. In fact, find several. You should be able to walk right through a NWC log with that 880, and you will have no problem selling every bit of it at prices that will be up there with many hardwoods. Traditional boatbuilders of every persuasion have a very hard time finding NWC correctly milled (flitch-cut logs), and they absolutely, positively need to have it. A small ad for the right stuff in WoodenBoat mag and your phone will ring off the hook.

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:

Yeah, I wish! :roll:

Canoecraft by Ted Moores? That's the bible, and if you want to get religious about strip-built canoes, you need a bible. ;-)

If you're interested in building kayaks, then definitely get The Strip-Built Sea Kayak, by Nick Schade. Basic kayak design and construction is covered in great detail. He also wrote Building Strip-Planked Boats, which covers the complete construction of Nymph, the canoe I built for Lady BK. That book wasn't written when I built her boat, but he published the plans in WoodenBoat magazine and I built it from that.

Jay, you look like a pretty big guy towering over that huge trunk in your avatar photo. You should know that Nymph is quite a small canoe, capable of only about 165 pounds max... boat, paddler, gear and all. You can increase the capacity by stretching it out to 12', but if going on 40 days river trips is your thing, that canoe just won't cut it. But there are dozens of canoe and kayak plans available on the Internet. You pay your money, but you usually get CAD printouts of the full-size lines and all of the station molds. No lofting (drawing lines plans full-size from a numerical table of measurements) is required, just glue the section shapes on 1/2" ply, cut them out and line them up on the construction form. Saves a lot of grief on a first boat.

BTW, if you really, really want to have fun with this, find yourself a nice clear northern white cedar log to mill. In fact, find several. You should be able to walk right through a NWC log with that 880, and you will have no problem selling every bit of it at prices that will be up there with many hardwoods. Traditional boatbuilders of every persuasion have a very hard time finding NWC correctly milled (flitch-cut logs), and they absolutely, positively need to have it. A small ad for the right stuff in WoodenBoat mag and your phone will ring off the hook.

I am not really not that big 5'10" and run between 185-205 depending on the time of year..I can lose 10lbs in one day on a kayak though... 12- 1/2 should be able to do 300 lbs and thats what I am shooting for. When I first start my trips I will be a little heavy but shed atleast 20-30lbs over the first night...If drinking a few cold beers even more... So really 285-310 weight limit would be the target.

jay when you start building this let me know, Wife was just talking the other day about buying a canoe for the family would have to a large one, or two smaller ones.

MMaul said:
jay when you start building this let me know, Wife was just talking the other day about buying a canoe for the family would have to a large one, or two smaller ones.

You can bowwow my kayaks anytime and I have 6 tubes aswell.

J the longer this takes the better my youngest will be two next month, so if this take 2 years even better, would be cool to use a boat that you made yourself, I just thought about something I know someone in Indy that has built boats before, he is the owner of the company that does our fryer oil, hit him up for some help if you need it, might also be able to hook you up with veg oil for the mill, for some lumber.

MMaul said:
J the longer this takes the better my youngest will be two next month, so if this take 2 years even better, would be cool to use a boat that you made yourself, I just thought about something I know someone in Indy that has built boats before, he is the owner of the company that does our fryer oil, hit him up for some help if you need it, might also be able to hook you up with veg oil for the mill, for some lumber.

the veggie oil would be cool for sure!

southbound said:
Ok I believe it now I see it lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like you got a great set up there.....

Stock 880 is imperssive in my book 11 months and then atleast a muff..modd.. I will want your help!!!

Just get out your batt. op drill and start at it...Keep putting hole in it till you like the sound.....

Just let me know if I can help....

southbound said:
Just get out your batt. op drill and start at it...Keep putting hole in it till you like the sound.....

Just let me know if I can help....

lol after the build you done and where going to make a tin can...just kiding I know what you meen! Hows the new job and boots?

Job is rough no lie but it is the heat that is getting me..Had to get in a creek yesterday around 4:00 I was already dead tired when that cold water got up to my knees I almost fell out LOL...........................We had a man down by the creek 2 days before and he gave out from the drink the night before and the heat anyway I could not get his saw to start back up for him..They took it t the shop and it was full of water..He does not remember setting the saw down in the creek.....I got a new 440 mag and now I can't tell it from the other beat up saws. I get to do stuff with saws I would never do with one of mine..

Any way the boots are great best pair I ever had already thinking of getting a second pair just for around the house....

I'll snap some pic's tomorrow of my 2 week old chaps and boots.You will think they are much older....

O and thanks for asking!!

southbound said:
Job is rough no lie but it is the heat that is getting me..Had to get in a creek yesterday around 4:00 I was already dead tired when that cold water got up to my knees I almost fell out LOL...........................We had a man down by the creek 2 days before and he gave out from the drink the night before and the heat anyway I could not get his saw to start back up for him..They took it t the shop and it was full of water..He does not remember setting the saw down in the creek.....I got a new 440 mag and now I can't tell it from the other beat up saws. I get to do stuff with saws I would never do with one of mine..

Any way the boots are great best pair I ever had already thinking of getting a second pair just for around the house....

I'll snap some pic's tomorrow of my 2 week old chaps and boots.You will think they are much older....

lol Will you wear mine for a week?.......lmao mine still suck but going to try again this weekend if you can do it, it gives me hope and 150.00 buck into it I have too...

sure will what size???

I need a 11 wide....I gave bout the same for mine and I'm real happy...

The only thing I can Complain about is they are to grippy..Some times I want to slide under a down tree or something and they just wont brake loose...

Status
Not open for further replies.