Mind the (Gasket) Gap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mmcc

Dec 12, 2016
Northeast Ohio
I have a oldish Century wood stove in my workshop, and I just noticed that it has significant (1/4") gap between the door gasket and the stove body on the hinge side.

I recently replaced the gasket with 5/8" stuff from Tractor Supply. I didn't look to see if there was a gap before replacing the gasket, but I have to assume there was because the old gasket was about the same diameter (if not a little smaller) than the new one, and the stove was sucking down firewood like crazy.

The models listed on the back are S24XE, S27XE, S28XE, FW240XXX, and FWS270XXX. I'm not sure what the exact model number for this stove is, but assuming that the Xs are wildcards, according to the Century web site, they all take 5/8" door gasket.

Any suggestions for what I should do here? I'm not sure the channel will be wide enough for 7/8" or 1" gasket.

Pictures of the stove, gap, and current gasket below.

IMG_0880.JPG IMG_0881.JPG IMG_0882.JPG

So go bigger maybe the next size 3/4

Need to do something. Trying to control that stove with a gap like that is gonna be hard. I agree, step up one size and see how it goes.

Plus a generous bed of rtv. The gasket will push into it.