• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty2

Mar 14, 2008
West Coast
I'm having trouble finding this in long lengths...16' minimum...to go over a GARN 2000.
Here in the PNW, all I can find is 4' lengths at the big box stores.
Any leads? brands to source?
Scotty

I'm having trouble finding this in long lengths...16' minimum...to go over a GARN 2000.
Here in the PNW, all I can find is 4' lengths at the big box stores.
Any leads? brands to source?
Scotty

=================================================================================================

Check the Mcmaster Carr web site they have almost everything
including the kitchen sink.

I bought a sheet of 1,001 degree Fahrenheit high temperature furnace insulation
for the steam chest of my dual fuel Kerosene /Rice Coal Stoker boiler and its a
night and day difference as to how little heat is now lost from my boilers steam chest.

They also ship nationwide and they love plastic money or certified bank checks
for payment for goods and freight cost.

www.mcmastercarr.com

You will not be sorry doing business with them as the quality of their merchandise is very,
very high.

Have you tried looking up the manufacturer of the brand name you found in short lengths? It might be able to be found online somewhere in longer lengths.

It doesnt roll like fiber glass does, might not be able to find it in a roll

Yeah, the rock wool stuff is rated for high temps around 1,000F. I would guess that the only hot spots would be in the exhaust flue passages. They are uncased in water mostly, yes? Maybe consider polyiso sheets available just about anywhere, 4 feet by 8 feet by whatever ya like, 1/2" to 2".

But, if you are certain ya want the rock wool, I ordered from an acoustics supplier and received 2 foot by 4 foot by 2 inch pieces. They shipped from your neighborhood.

fiberglass or rock wool maybe just around the flue area. Typical poly iso board is rated above what the Garn jacket would run, if it is an open system 212 is boiling at seal level. It comes in 4X8 sheets and can be curved.

Iso board is used in many solar thermal collectors now a days, they run much hotter than what that Garn water jacket would run?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 8.21.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 8.21.21 PM.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 225
It is referred to as a rigid product but it will give. The 2" might be tougher to bend but layering 1/2" sheets would be rather easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.