Mini Split news for VT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The attitude of the legistlature is disturbing. They seem to be taking a black and white, all or nothing view. Insulation helps reduce energy use, check. Mini-splits reduce energy consumption too, check. They are not mutually exclusive. Some folks will opt for one or another. Both are winning scenarios. And for those that opt for both, bingo! You get the best of both worlds.

Hi begreen, Last I heard Vermont is very soon going to shut down a nuclear reactor that generated ~70% of their state's electricity. I think the plan is to replace it with hydro power from Quebec, and perhaps other generation outside of Vermont. I'm guessing that there is a reluctance to do anything to increase the electricity load until their power source is more secured and the utility has a 2 to 3 year track record with it.

Thanks, I didn't know that. Still, in an all electric house with electric resistance heating, installing a mini-split would significantly reduce power consumption.

Hi begreen, good points, but I would be very surprised if there would be many people in Vermont with electric resistance heating. Traditionally, power cost a lot more in the Northeast than in the hydropower rich Northwest.

New all electric homes are common nationwide. It's a cheap way for a contractor to install heat in a spec house.

VT Yankee is closing down and generates a lot of power but very little of it is sold to VT ratepayers. Thus he regional grid has to more concerned about VT yankee closing than VT ratepayers do.

I agree that there would be few if any electric heated homes in VT. Much of VT outside of Burlington is rather infamous for lousy transmission infrastructure. A strong wind routinely takes out the power. The states transmission utility, Velco has issued reports that over a billion dollars of transmission upgrades are needed to meet national reliability standards. The state conveniently just debates it to death and kicks the can down the road. The politicians talk a good game about distributed energy but the reality is much of VT has plugged into the Canadian grid and hopes that the transmission lines hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.