Minus temps to continue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the native species have evolved to survive these drops in temperature, the article says. it is the new, invasive species that will suffer.

Honey bees are not native to North America. This is going to be tough on them too.

Honey bees are not native to North America. This is going to be tough on them too.

Often native americans would note the arrival of european honeybees prior to the arrival of the europeans. They were harbingers.

Of sweet things to come, but with a nasty sting...

That jetstream used to like to dip down far enough to catch the great lakes, but generally not too much farther, in the past few years, if my fuzzy memory serves me at all. It has a much bigger appetite now.

johneh - i spent a few years in Ottawa back in the late 80's. Did lots of walking back then (poor student) - no shortage of crazy cold days out that way, for sure.

On news tonight ohio natural gas asking customers to cut back

the South is pretty cold too. it is snowing in Atlanta too with the threat is ice snapping power lines.

when's the groundhog supposed to make its appearance?

It's -2F here... I talked to my mom in Bradenton, and it's a chilly 68F there. Brrrrr, mom... how do you stand it?

when's the groundhog supposed to make its appearance?
Ground hog day is Feb. 2 next Monday
The ground hog will tell us if there will be 6 weeks of winter left or a month and a half left:):)

Crocuses will bloom here in a month and a half, that will be my light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel moment.

Hope I don't plow through too much more wood between now and then.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Ground hog day is Feb. 2 next Monday
The ground hog will tell us if there will be 6 weeks of winter left or a month and a half left:):)

there's gonna be a lot of pressure on that fat rat this year.

The good part of that BB is that the end of January is in sight!
Yep, Jan. 20 is the coldest average day. Unfortunately, 'average' went by the wayside a while back this year.
The bad part is that the upward flow is gonna pull that "warm" air from the Gulf up with it and we are gonna get bombed with snow.
Man, that's what I'm dreading now; A one-two punch winter where we get buried in Feb. and March. !!!

I just removed 50 cm of snow from my driveway in the past 3 days. At this rate I won't even come close to see my wood stacks in my yard within a month. A solid base of 4 feet is a LOT of snow in the yard come spring....ugh

Truthfully now, how many of you were hoping for a cold winter last October? Be careful what you wish for...

This is great! It's winter it's supposed to be cold and snowy. I'm loving it here in NH, but this is how it'd supposed to be here.
I do have sympathy for those in the south that are really getting beat up and those who are affected by fuel shortages or outages. That's gotta be tough.
Now if mid April comes and I'm still feeding the stove, I won't be so chipper. :mad:

Reactions: vinny11950
Truthfully now, how many of you were hoping for a cold winter last October? Be careful what you wish for...

Guilty -Still killing mosquitos in Nov and ready to welcome the cold just to kill the little ba$stards off. Oooops

The cold in South Jersey didn't kill off the stink bugs. It has been below 0 and more days with highs in the teens then I can remember but I found the cat playing with a stink bug that must have come off a piece of firewood yesterday. I was hoping this cold would have put a hurting on them.

I did warm him up in the wood stove though!

Further on in the article, it says that bees will all swarm around the queen, vibrate their wings, and it's like ninety degrees in the hive!

Reactions: Swedishchef

Some cold . . . yes. Extended bouts of sub zero cold . . . no.

And I wished for snow . . . and have been sadly disappointed this year . . . just like last year and the year before that. If things keep up I may end up sellling my sled.

Some cold . . . yes. Extended bouts of sub zero cold . . . no.

And I wished for snow . . . and have been sadly disappointed this year . . . just like last year and the year before that. If things keep up I may end up sellling my sled.
i sold my last sled 2 years ago in disgust. I gave up owning one.

i sold my last sled 2 years ago in disgust. I gave up owning one.

I tell ya . . . I love sledding . . . and this year looked so promising until we had a week of very mild temps and rain that nearly wiped out all the snow in my area.

Last year, the year before and now this year the only way I get any riding requires me to load up the sled and trailer it . . . it's fun . . . but more costly and the time on the road often is close to the same time on the trail. Just a few years ago we could get several months of sledding locally.

Add to that the much more expensive cost of both running the sled in terms of gas mileage (not to mention the cost of two stroke oil) and the repair costs (every year it seems as though I need to put anywheres from $100-$350 into sled repairs/maintenance) and when I stack that up against the very low cost of running my ATV I really am starting to think about getting rid of the sled . . . which of course would guarantee a fantastic snowmobile season next year.

I really am starting to think about getting rid of the sled . . . which of course would guarantee a fantastic snowmobile season next year.

yep, that is what happened here. I also moved 50 miles south, which put me on the "snow line" of the state as I call it,,,less snow down here. I could have ridden for the last 2 or 3 weeks, everyday in fresh snow. There are miles and miles of untouched snow all around me right now,,,but if i go buy a sled,,,it'll melt!

There is nothing like the pull of a powerfull sled. I have never found anything with more brute acceleration. I ran a zrt800 that I offered to either one of my sons if they could full throttle it, and not let up from one end of the field to the other end, behind our house. Neither could do it. It was one of those days where the snow was spotty. When the sled would hit the dry spots,,those carbide studs would grab the ground and stand that sled up....they would let off the throttle every time! I always wore the safety cable on that sled. It would pull handlebars right out of your hands.

Now the new 4 strokes are supposed to be pretty mean with their turbos and all, but i never got past the power of the 2 smoker.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I just got back last night from Eastern Washington, and it is far warmer there than here. No snow, and drought situations.
Something just ain't right, seems like the weather is reversed. Was nice getting off the plane there to mid 40's. Felt like spring.

these kids are smart!!!!!!!!
bad-situation5.jpg
no school now?

Reactions: bag of hammers
As much as I don't like it, I did hope for it because I think we need it to put things back in order. Although I'm not too happy about the way it's making me plow through my wood supply. Early last fall, I kept telling the wife that we were long overdue for a cold hard winter and that this was going to be the one.
She recently reminded me that I was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.