Missing cat and refractory?! Oh boy...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

uh oh

• Yes

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosmonauts

Jan 15, 2016
Pennsylvania
just inspected the stove I bought intrepid 2 model 1308...needs cleaned I know but I'm fairly certain I'm missing the cat and perhaps another part...any help would be SO MUCH appreciated! Intrepid 2 model 1308

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 168
I hope you didn't pay much for it

Reactions: Kosmonauts
It was recommended that you get the stove's manual which has all the information you need. Failing that, there is at least one or two parts dealers that have the exploded parts diagram for this stove online.

It was recommended that you get the stove's manual which has all the information you need. Failing that, there is at least one or two parts dealers that have the exploded parts diagram for this stove online.
I do have the manual...just double checking on here.

Little upset about it I wish I would have known more before I purchased or the seller should have told me. I understand now after more research what the cat does and is supposed to do I only learned so much from te manual...I was able to get a new refractory and cat online for 300$. That's not so bad I guess but I did pay 300$ for the stove...that was the last part of the inspection. I know now it should have been the first, however, this is my first stove ever and I guess you learn as you go just like firewood or anything else...

I'm just a little upset that the guy sold me this without mentioning anything about it. Those parts needing to be replaced I totally understand, but totally missing I don't. Perhaps he used it without those parts, who knows....

Plan on doing a total rebuild this summer. Maybe if you can get another intact 1308 cheaply for spare parts and assembly guidance. Or sell this unit for parts and get a simpler stove for a starter.

Plan on doing a total rebuild this summer. Maybe if you can get another intact 1308 cheaply for spare parts and assembly guidance. Or sell this unit for parts and get a simpler stove for a starter.
Ok thanks begreen. The thought did cross my mind. Everything else seems to be in decent shape I did replace the doors and glass also the griddle and a few other things. I'm hoping that this was the biggest purchase and new cat is pretty much the main heart of the stove and I'm glad that it's brand new

Cat, refractory, refractory plug, fireback with throat hood appear to be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.