Missing damper on ventless fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nickt41

Oct 9, 2019
Ohio
I had a ventless coal basket installed in my very old fireplace. The chimney is capped (2 story house, fireplace on 1st floor).

I feel like I’m wasting a lot of heat in the chimney. If I could close a damper or block off the chimney, the heat would be directed into the house. Any suggestions for a solution, preferably DIY?

thanks!
Nick

I had a ventless coal basket installed in my very old fireplace. The chimney is capped (2 story house, fireplace on 1st floor).

I feel like I’m wasting a lot of heat in the chimney. If I could close a damper or block off the chimney, the heat would be directed into the house. Any suggestions for a solution, preferably DIY?

thanks!
Nick
Ventless units like yours are usually not to be used as heaters. What does the manual say. But yes if you aren't using the chimney block it off.

Ventless units like yours are usually not to be used as heaters. What does the manual say. But yes if you aren't using the chimney block it off.
The manual makes no mention of a damper and flu. I understood that ventless fireplaces can be operated with a closed damper.
I understand that it's not intended to be a major source of heat for a large space, but it is a heater and it does heat. Just trying to get some better efficiency out of it.

The manual makes no mention of a damper and flu. I understood that ventless fireplaces can be operated with a closed damper.
I understand that it's not intended to be a major source of heat for a large space, but it is a heater and it does heat. Just trying to get some better efficiency out of it.
I know the manual will say nothing about a damper. What does it say about how long you can burn it. What about opening a window?