Missing Flame on Burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZitRemedy

Feb 29, 2016
Canada
Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a show room model of the Napoleon HD35. The installers came out, installed and performed maintenance and servicing on the unit. They hooked up a small tank temporarily to test lines and flame output. After they left I hooked up a 20LB LPG tank with regulator so I could see the flame pattern. The flame on the back of the burner is high, blue base with yellow flames. There are more holes in the front and do not have any flames coming from them and the rest have a very low small blue flame. I shut everything off, waited and removed the burner assembly. I cleaned every hole with compressed air, vacuumed etc. It still did not make a difference...is this a bad burner?

Or is it because its a smaller tank with a crappy regualtor? The propane company is coming in this week to install proper tank/regulator. I'm hoping this issue goes away but just preparing for possible fixes if it does not.

More than likely, it's the tank. If it burned fine on the showroom,
there shouldn't be anything wrong with the burner.
Was the unit burning LP or NG in the showroom?
If the fuel was NG, & new tank & regulator don't alleviate the issue,
I would question if it was converted to LP correctly...

More than likely, it's the tank. If it burned fine on the showroom,
there shouldn't be anything wrong with the burner.
Was the unit burning LP or NG in the showroom?
If the fuel was NG, & new tank & regulator don't alleviate the issue,
I would question if it was converted to LP correctly...

It is a NG model converted to LPG. There is a sticker inside stating so and I noticed the "orifice" part that connects to the burner is the correct model for LPG. What other items need to happen for the conversion? (just asking for when I talk to service tech)

I also noticed the Venturi Adjustment was somewhat fully closed (little gap). I'm wondering if this was done in the showroom to maximize the flame effect. When burning there doesn't seem to be any soot or darkening of glass. The burner plate holes are in sort of a "happy face" pattern. The holes along the top get great flame but the rest are very low blue flames and the holes on one side have no flame at all. They did come on at one point with little blue flames but I haven't seen it since. I'm going to see what its like after proper tank and reg install.

*Edit: It was already converted in the showroom and burning LPG. When I noticed the flame height, they said it needed a good cleaning and the short distance of my venting would improve that. I did not notice little blue flames on the front or missing flame on the showroom setup*

Attachments

• Burst_Cover_GIF_Action_50156097675064.gif
    Burst_Cover_GIF_Action_50156097675064.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 176
The video looks to me like you just don't have the pressure to get the gas to the front burner ports.
That is probably caused by the regulator on the LP tank.
In answer to your question, a fuel conversion MUST have the burner orifice & pilot orifice changed.
The regulator head on the gas valve needs to be changed. The air shutter needs to be adjusted
- usually WIDE OPEN - for burning LP. The fuel conversion sticker, with the technician's initials needs
to be attached to the unit. On SOME models, there is a burner change required. The information on the
items in the conversion lit can sometimes be found in the install manual.

The video looks to me like you just don't have the pressure to get the gas to the front burner ports.
That is probably caused by the regulator on the LP tank.
In answer to your question, a fuel conversion MUST have the burner orifice & pilot orifice changed.
The regulator head on the gas valve needs to be changed. The air shutter needs to be adjusted
- usually WIDE OPEN - for burning LP. The fuel conversion sticker, with the technician's initials needs
to be attached to the unit. On SOME models, there is a burner change required. The information on the
items in the conversion lit can sometimes be found in the install manual.

Thanks for your help. From what I can tell:

- Burner Orifice and Pilot Orifice are correct for that model and LPG
- The regulator head on the gas valve I'm not sure of. I assume this is correct as the fireplace is still lighting.
- The "test" regulator was a small cheap one meant for BBQ tanks.
- The air shutter is not fully open but almost fully closed (small gap). I can see markings on the metal for the screw which what looks like was the original position. It should be all the way open for LPG correct?

Thanks for your help. From what I can tell:

- Burner Orifice and Pilot Orifice are correct for that model and LPG
- The regulator head on the gas valve I'm not sure of. I assume this is correct as the fireplace is still lighting.
- The "test" regulator was a small cheap one meant for BBQ tanks.
- The air shutter is not fully open but almost fully closed (small gap). I can see markings on the metal for the screw which what looks like was the original position. It should be all the way open for LPG correct?

Check your owner's manual to confirm.
Most manufacturers call for the air shutters on LPG units to be wide open.
Others adjust it so it is slightly closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.