mixed "hardwoods" what did I really get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colophoto

Jan 3, 2014
denver
Hey all,
proving to myself once again that Craigslist is best left to others. went in for a $60 half cord of mixed hardwood. My pickup has a 60cu ft bed and everyone generally agrees that a level fill is half a cord (really 8" above the edge is half a cord with wheel wells and all) anyway, after getting the bed 2/3 full and debating that there is no way that's half a cord I got a level bed full of "mixed hardwood" - on the one hand the guy loaded for me on the other hand I kept throwing aspen out saying it's not even close to hardwood, we had a little language barrier - "is very good hardwood, cleans chimney" - "no thanks". got some cottonwood slipped in there too.The good news is that I got quite a bit of apple.
I've got several that I don't recognize out of general ignorance. I think one is silver maple. Can any of you much smarter folks tell me what these guys are? photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG
the colors are a little bland on this dreary day, this one above is trying to look like pine on my screen, I'm pretty sure it is not.
photo 4.JPGphoto 5.JPGphoto.JPG

First one is walnut, second old beech or pin oak, third some kind of fungus lol, and maple and white oak and apple.
Hope it's mostly dry at least.

Technically cottonwood and aspen are hardwoods -- deciduous trees. That said, they're considered "soft" hardwoods around here and not all that desirable.

Walnut, Aspen, Pine, Cedar, Maple or apple????? Very sure of the first 4.

Reactions: paul bunion
I see walnut, then maybe aspen, then a bunch that appear to be soft maple.

the one with stringy bark, appears 4th to me, yellowish inside - is that the guess for cedar? doesn't really smell like it. it has me baffled the most of all.

Reactions: nrford
I'm with nrford's calls. I would lean to the last two being soft maple. I could be wrong but in my limited dealings with apple I don't recall any with punk/semi rotten wood, they just hollow out real slow and rot right at the edge. Maple on the the other hand gets punky across the round.

I'm pretty sure the last two are not apple - it's really the same log. Apple is one that I actually have some experience with. This bark has more texture and the wood doesn't smell like apple. Any guesses on the stringy bark one before it?

#3 looks like pine/spruce, not hardwood obviously, I have some, burns good once seasoned. The only other one I recognize is the walnut.

Reactions: nrford
Figured it out! #4 is Russian olive. Answer was staring me in the face in the neighbors yard.

There isn't a ton of it, but from time to time you'll see one in someone's yard

If I had a half cord that 2/3 was apple I don't think I'd care what the other 1/3 was for $60.
Course a cord of "hardwood" is 225 and up here. + deliver

Still nice to be able to ID wood so ya don't put poplar or big tooth aspen in for an overnite fire. :)

I wish it was 2/3 apple....but no, the half cord he tried to sell me only filled my truck bed 2/3 of the way on a 6' bed - not half a cord of anything. It looks like what I got is a good bit of Russian olive, a wheel barrow full of walnut and another of apple, few hunks of silver maple and a bunch of random with far more aspen than I'd ever want. Virtually none of it seasoned. A half cord of seasoned hardwood here is $190-260+ delivery. Was hoping for a deal, not sure I got totally hosed, but not sure it was worth the effort.

Russian olive - That is right. I wouldn't have guessed that.
#3 - The one that looks like red pine. I was splitting some cherry that I cut down last fall last night and it looked reddish and similar to 3. Could also be chinese elm. Should be able to tell looking at a split piece.

I am good at identfying trees, but this forum is a good test with limited info available. It is easer to tell with leaves.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.