mmmmm.....honey locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyroholic

Feb 17, 2013
Mid-Michigan
Cut this down for a friend this weekend. Would've helped him for free, but the 2 cord of wood was a nice bonus. Never had locust, but I doubt I'll be disappointed. What kind of drying time should I expect after split and stacked in ideal conditions? 20130427_125418.jpg 20130427_124117.jpg 20130427_131655.jpg 20130428_154032.jpg 20130428_153951.jpg 20130427_131732.jpg

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Nice haul, that's a biggun'! :cool: I've got a decent-sized one in a neighbor's yard to get sometime. Never burned Honey yet, just Black.
She appears to be looking for a bug that's biting her, but there can't be any bugs out up there yet... Checking her tan? ;)

Reactions: ScotO
Not sure what she's doing, supervising no doubt. I thought it made the picture better anyway so i had to throw it in. Definitely a biggun, 32" DBH. (the tree that is)

Nice one! I have many, many cord of honey and black locust. Honey is just about as good as black. Burns slow, with a nice blue flame, and it really puts out the heat.....by far, one of the best overnight or long burn firewoods you can get. It lasts a long, long time, and there's a gigantic bed of deep red coals in the morning....

That's a decent sized tree. I cut four that were that size, maybe a tad bigger, a couple years back. Only burned a little of that stuff, I'll be digging into it this winter. I have four more honey locusts on that farm where I got the others that I plan on getting sometime this summer or fall.

You hit the jackpot there, my friend.......get it split and stacked (I'd split it 4x4" or 5x5" for optimum drying and burning), save that stuff for a really REALLY cold spell in the dead of winter so you can reap the awesome heat it puts out....

BTW, if you split it like I said (4x4" to 5x5"), it'll dry fairly quick. If the conditions are right this summer, it could possibly be ready next winter. But make sure it's good and dry so you can benefit from it. If you can, I'd give it till the winter of 14/15 before you burn it. Then it'll be at it's optimum output....

Reactions: cptoneleg
Yeah, can't wait to enjoy it. Got two loads like the one pictured. Should be nice and toasty with the locust around January 2015.

Just waiting for the rain to stop so I can go relieve the truck/trailer of it's load.

Reactions: ScotO
Very nice score!
Great looking trailer & tail gate/ramp ;)

Serious high BTUs there (;hm jealousy here )

The ramp really makes it a versatile trailer. Can roll rounds up if needed, or haul the quad, bike, tractor, etc. with ease. Put new LED lights on and built a cage out of round stock to protect them from the occasional wild round. Got sick of breaking them off.

The ramp really makes it a versatile trailer. Can roll rounds up if needed, or haul the quad, bike, tractor, etc. with ease. Put new LED lights on and built a cage out of round stock to protect them from the occasional wild round. Got sick of breaking them off.
New lights a few times last year.
Started buying an extra so I'd have it when needed. LOL.
Hope the dual axle trailer is better at protecting the lights. Couldn't be the driver :eek:

Never burned Honey yet, just Black.

Burns close to the same as honey locust but takes a good 2 years to season. Worth the wait.;)

32" DBH. (the tree that is)
;lol ;lol ;lol

Can't tell from the picture; does it have the huge man eating tire popping thorns or is it the thornless variety?

Burns nicely with a little something else burning along with it.
Nice score!

Thornless, Ralphie... thank God

Sure wish I could get more of that, great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.