Modified Turbs Decrease Flue Temp and.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnDolz

Minister of Fire
Dec 29, 2015
Burlington, CT
Some of you may recall a discussion around high flue temp (appreciate everyone's help back then). I have never been able to wrap my arms around what is causing it but everything worked fine just had flue temp that ran a little high (about 395 after cleaning up to around 500 just before I clean them again at 200 hours of use). I had been discussing this with the manufacturer and they sent me over some modified turbs with some pipe added to slow down the air(see photo). I installed them yesterday and it looks like they dropped my flue temp by about 20 - 25 degrees.

Originally I was going to try to monitor the BTU gain as a result of the slower burn but the folks in Sweden expected the gain to be less than 1% and challenging to try to quantify so I didn't bother. Interestingly I think I got a whole lot more gain than anyone anticipated. I started a fire at a tank temp that usually can easily take a fully loaded fire (with room to spare) but yesterday my tanks ended at pretty much max capacity, it is even possible that my boiler went into an idle mode but I was outside and would not have noticed. If I had to guess I would say temp at the top was 10 degrees higher and bottom was substantially more than that (I have a sensor at the very bottom that shows on a different screen on my boiler and honestly I never pay attention to that one). I realize there are a lot of variables: starting tank temp, weight of load put in boiler, actual demand during burn, etc. but having used this setup for the last few years plus having burned for a month already from the same wood pile - I am pretty sure of the result.

I will leave the analysis to the engineers on the forum, from a Sales guy perspective they seem to provide value. I just figured I would share the info in hopes it may benefit someone out there.

Turbs.JPG

Attachments

• Turbs.JPG
    Turbs.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: NP ALASKA