Moisture Content of two year downed tree and other BS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wildbilljp

Nov 30, 2018
Ky
So I called a guy that had an ad for well -seasoned oak firewood in my area. Guy told me to come on over and see for myself and get a load. He got so pissed at me over my meter measuring his splits at 39%. I explained to him that I was getting an insert that required 20% or less moisture. 39%.JPG54%.JPG
He told me over the phone his wood was dry and had been down since two summers ago. It was only after I broke out my meter that he said that he had just split the wood a few days ago. He still maintained that it was from a tree that had been down for two years and I believe that. But he was upset that my meter showed his splits to be almost 40%. I measured several pieces and they all registered a high MC.
Learning that "dry"/"seasoned" wood is a rare item in my area. I'm starting to worry that this will be a major drawback to owning a stove that requires 20% MC.

Plan a few years ahead. I have 2 years of wood in the shed. Working on the third year right now. That way it'll be nice and dry by the time I need to burn it. I realize that some people may not have the room for that, but do the best you can.

I'm sure others will pop up soon with other thoughts.

Reactions: Wildbilljp
You educated the man by showing him how his routine isn't producing dry wood. Betting you will enjoy the benefits of the new stove after you get used to having seasoned wood. Just gotta get ahead on your wood supply.

Just buy some green wood and let it season a year or two, if you plan on buying seasoned wood to less than 20% you're going to be disappointed.

Learning that "dry"/"seasoned" wood is a rare item in my area. I'm starting to worry that this will be a major drawback to owning a stove that requires 20% MC.
It's not just your area. This happens across the country.

So I called a guy that had an ad for well -seasoned oak firewood in my area. Guy told me to come on over and see for myself and get a load. He got so pissed at me over my meter measuring his splits at 39%. I explained to him that I was getting an insert that required 20% or less moisture. View attachment 238121View attachment 238124
He told me over the phone his wood was dry and had been down since two summers ago. It was only after I broke out my meter that he said that he had just split the wood a few days ago. He still maintained that it was from a tree that had been down for two years and I believe that. But he was upset that my meter showed his splits to be almost 40%. I measured several pieces and they all registered a high MC.

Glad to hear this story teller was held to account! So many people wind up having their ignorance exploited.

Also unfortunate are the number of people who glibly say "just let it sit in your wood shed for 2-3 years!" Also unfortunate are all the stove dealers who sell people stoves without putting people on notice as to the realities of the wood they will need.

Pretty shabby, all the way around. And then we have the government, who has imposed this on people, with the silent expectation that very dry wood will be the fuel of choice when they ought to know that it wont be.

Personally, I'm happy to keep burning my uncertified wood stove, that burns what is thrown into it ----or at least is less picky than what government stoves require.

Also unfortunate are the number of people who glibly say "just let it sit in your wood shed for 2-3 years!"

I've been burning wood for heat most of my life. Even as a kid with non epa stoves we had a few years of wood ahead. I think i was 6-7 when I asked my grandfather why are we cutting more now when you have all that, his answer was that water doesn't burn.

Hate to say it like this but, all stoves need wood that's below 20%, haven't seen a stove yet to burn water.
The old myth of older non epa rated stoves burning with wet wood holds little to no value, yes they could, people did stay marginally warmer, but that was because of the stoves primitive design, no insulated fire boxes, no baffle, the wood smoldered away like it would in a new epa stove, it just conducted heat better making the user a little warm, but still dangerous to run (creosote build up)

Until it gets to a point where cord wood is certified to spec, then the horse trading will continue. On the other hand a neighbor here was out at 9pm last night with the chainsaw cutting off rounds to split and use in his stove. He was certainly capable of cutting some of it earlier to let it dry if he really wanted to or felt the need. It's all about choices. His choice is to burn snotty wet wood and muck up his chimney. To each his own.

If I had to rely on buying wood seasoned and ready to go, I likely wouldn't be burning wood.

All these problems go away by taking things into your own hands and drying it yourself. All you need to do is add time to the recipe.

Glad to hear this story teller was held to account! So many people wind up having their ignorance exploited.

Also unfortunate are the number of people who glibly say "just let it sit in your wood shed for 2-3 years!" Also unfortunate are all the stove dealers who sell people stoves without putting people on notice as to the realities of the wood they will need.

Pretty shabby, all the way around. And then we have the government, who has imposed this on people, with the silent expectation that very dry wood will be the fuel of choice when they ought to know that it wont be.

Personally, I'm happy to keep burning my uncertified wood stove, that burns what is thrown into it ----or at least is less picky than what government stoves require.
Everything someone does is governed by their level of ignorance and level of intolerance. Everything.

While I fully agree oak is a great heater there are other brands of wood that do the same thing that also don't require 3 years of seasoning.Don't get me wrong... I'd burn it if it grew around here.

So I called a guy that had an ad for well -seasoned oak firewood in my area. Guy told me to come on over and see for myself and get a load. He got so pissed at me over my meter measuring his splits at 39%. I explained to him that I was getting an insert that required 20% or less moisture. View attachment 238121View attachment 238124

Good for you. Well done.

And don’t make the mistake of thinking your stove is unique in that it requires seasoned (20% or less) firewood. Some will disagree but all stoves should have seasoned wood in them. Good firewood is probably the most important aspect of wood burning and I would bet most would agree. It can make or break the process, in general.

Every stove old or new will burn wet wood. They just won't work well as they do it. You don't notice as much with your stove because it already doesn't work very well.

The fact that water doesn't burn has nothing to do with govt regulation

I've been burning wood for heat most of my life. Even as a kid with non epa stoves we had a few years of wood ahead. I think i was 6-7 when I asked my grandfather why are we cutting more now when you have all that, his answer was that water doesn't burn.
Good ole grandpa, he'll just leave that there in your head and let you figure it out.

While I fully agree oak is a great heater there are other brands of wood that do the same thing that also don't require 3 years of seasoning.Don't get me wrong... I'd burn it if it grew around here.
Is it that there are no oak trees growing in your area of Maine or no oak in Maine? I am not very well traveled so I wouldn't know. BUT I love oak trees, not just to burn but to look at as well, and hunt around.

Every stove old or new will burn wet wood. They just won't work well as they do it. You don't notice as much with your stove because it already doesn't work very well.

The fact that water doesn't burn has nothing to do with govt regulation
Good response. I just can't....shaking my head yet again.

Reactions: bholler
Any wood burns and will heat your house. I’ve burned lots of unseasoned or semi seasoned wood over the years. The thing with real seasoned firewood that’s 15-20% moisture content is how much less work it is! Only have to clean the chimney once a year, takes 10 min to reload stove and have it shutdown and cruising. Also very little smoke out the chimney is a nice side effect depending on where you live.

That's exactly right. We went through a season with 25-30%+ maple. It burned but was a lot more work to produce good heat. The cap gunked up after just a month of burning. I can go 3 yrs and have a much cleaner chimney as long as I am burning dry wood. With dry wood our annual cleaning would produce less than a cup of soot. This year I am doing an experiment and letting it go 2 yrs between cleaning, but only because I am burning wood of a known moisture content that is less than 20%.

Good response. I just can't....shaking my head yet again.
He's burning a lot of scrap wood from a local wood shop. I'm sure that wood is much less than 20% moisture.

He's burning a lot of scrap wood from a local wood shop. I'm sure that wood is much less than 20% moisture.
I was referring more towards the good advice many give advising towards getting a few years ahead, being referred to as insincere, and boasting of burning an uncert stove with what's thrown in it. There is no "silent"expectation that very dry wood will be the fuel of choice. It is simply fact, that any informed wood burner already knows, or learns through research, education & experience. The latter being proof positive.
But, I am sure you can tell, I have mellowed in my older years, and don't waste as much time on those that are not worth the waste of time. I'd much rather help those that are willing to learn how to burn the best they can.

That's exactly right. We went through a season with 25-30%+ maple. It burned but was a lot more work to produce good heat. The cap gunked up after just a month of burning. I can go 3 yrs and have a much cleaner chimney as long as I am burning dry wood. With dry wood our annual cleaning would produce less than a cup of soot. This year I am doing an experiment and letting it go 2 yrs between cleaning, but only because I am burning wood of a known moisture content that is less than 20%.
I did just that last 2 seasons, but to be honest, it is because I had other things in life eating up my thoughts & time. I was pleased with the results after cleaning, to find really not much more added sweepings after 2 seasons. I will continue to clean every year though. Some insurance is free, and really not that hard to keep in place. Plus I like getting up there and enjoying the view.

Is it that there are no oak trees growing in your area of Maine or no oak in Maine? I am not very well traveled so I wouldn't know. BUT I love oak trees, not just to burn but to look at as well, and hunt around.

No oak trees. I brought some up that I had cut down here in Mass and I burned great in my insert.

Transporting firewood into and around the state is a no no. There was a guy next town over with 2 seasoned cords of black walnut and oak that was selling it for 200.00. would have loved to buy it and haul it up but it just wasn't worth it.

A friend up north owns a baseball bat manufacturing company. He gave me a bag of cut offs for length and weight after machining. Dry? Sure was. Burned hot too!! Didn't last very long.