Moisture Content of two year downed tree and other BS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A friend up north owns a baseball bat manufacturing company. He gave me a bag of cut offs for length and weight after machining. Dry? Sure was. Burned hot too!! Didn't last very long.

Down this way a few folks have purchased slabs and other wood refuse from Peavey Manufacturing . . . they say it also burns quite well.

Seems like someone would set a few oak trees out to grow up there.

If oak wanted to grow there, it would already grow there naturally. The habitat must be adverse to it in some way.

Reactions: blacktail
If oak wanted to grow there, it would already grow there naturally. The habitat must be adverse to it in some way.
In Wisconsin there is a line from Green Bay to La Crosse, where 100s of species grow below but not above and vice versa. Oak, elm, cherry, locust grow below, hemlock, spruce, birch and pine grow above. Climate, depth to bedrock are limiters. Not sure, but a look at Maine seems similar. You could push the limits by planting, but they don't usually grow naturally.

Reactions: Wildbilljp
In Wisconsin there is a line from Green Bay to La Crosse, where 100s of species grow below but not above and vice versa. Oak, elm, cherry, locust grow below, hemlock, spruce, birch and pine grow above. Climate, depth to bedrock are limiters. Not sure, but a look at Maine seems similar. You could push the limits by planting, but they don't usually grow naturally.
Northern Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire are like that, in Mass you cant swing a dead cat without hitting an oak tree but not up north.

I know a guy who wanted dogwoods really bad. He finally gave up.

I don't even see eastern white pine very often but that's OK, I hate them.

I know a guy who wanted dogwoods really bad. He finally gave up.

I don't even see eastern white pine very often but that's OK, I hate them.

I've got a dogwood growing where I live in Unity (granted I'm quite a few miles south of you) . . . the first few years was touch and go even with frequent watering and using leafs to help insulate the tree and root system. It looks like the tree has finally took, but so far it's growing very slowly.

And yes . . . you're not missing out on white pine. I find them to be a pain in most cases. Needle drop in the Fall, frequent broken branches after the fall and winter storms to clean up, sap when one forgets and parks the car under them, blocked sun in the winter, etc. . . . I wish the previous owners had cut all of the pine near my house.

I have resolved myself to the fact that I will probably finish this winter with the Ecobricks from Rural King. Guess it's the same as the Red Stone compressed wood from Tractor Supply you guys mention on here every now and then. RK had them on a clearance price of 2.18 per 6 pack. Reckon I will get a pile of them to burn with what dry wood I have on hand which is not much (1 cord). Course, I'm using the insert to supplement my heat pump so we won't freeze if I don't run the insert, we'll just pay a huge electric bill.

Reactions: blacktail