Moisture measurement madness

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Wules

Jul 30, 2015
Central RI
I just got the happy news creosote is not partial to pine. Hard and soft are the same it depends on the moisture content. I have knocked down and burnt in my fireplace insert a lot of hardwood. But all the pine I cut down just sits strewn around my yard. Now I can burn it. Yah.

I need a moisture gauge to make sure it's around twenty percent so I can keep creosote to a minimum. I want one that is cheap as possible while being accurate. I need the specific brand and model number and the local store or Internet page it's on.

Can anyone help me.

Bought my moisture meter for twenty bucks at Harbor Freight 10 years ago and it does just fine for firewood. We ain't making fine furniture or framing lumber here. Couple of years ago I bought another one from them for seven bucks and it and the other one always agree.

General model MMD4E. Good, solid construction and worth every cent. They're available at Amazon and some box stores.

I just bought this one.

Digital Mini Moisture Meter
Pittsburgh.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-mini-moisture-meter-67145.html

Thank you to all who replied. I'm going with Dave and get the one at HF. It is the cheapest at 13.99 minus coupon and has good reviews. It is at my local HF so it would be super simple to return.

Thank you to all who replied. I'm going with Dave and get the one at HF. It is the cheapest at 13.99 minus coupon and has good reviews. It is at my local HF so it would be super simple to return.

I like mine so far. Showing 12-18% on 2yr old, small norway maple splits, depending on size. 30-40% on this years oak. Who knows how accurate without a second opinion, but seems right to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.