Moisture Meter Calibration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gotrek

Burning Hunk
Nov 20, 2014
Manitoba
I just cut a few trees during a cold spell (-25 - -30 Celcius).

I cut a spruce, an aspen and a couple box elders.

I brought a piece of each in the garage to let it warm up then a few days later split it and tested the moisture content.

The spruce was around 22-25 %
The Aspen was around 17 - 20 %
The box Elder was 15 -17%

I think my meter is lying to me is there a way to test it? That just seems pretty dry. Granted Frozen wasteland trees probably not as moist in winter but I would think it shouldn't be ready to burn out of the box :)

Got any chunks of dimensional lumber around that you can test? Wood inside the garage or house that you know is dry? Fresh split and compare...

I do, what moisture content would a normal 2x4 be? It's inside the garage so similar condition to the logs I brought in.

As I understand, most moisture meters are calibrated somewhere in the 60's-70's Fahrenheit. Is your garage that warm or just slightly warmer than outside? I've had my meter vary by as much as 10% when wood is measured at 70ish F vs in the 30's F.

As I understand, most moisture meters are calibrated somewhere in the 60's-70's Fahrenheit. Is your garage that warm or just slightly warmer than outside? I've had my meter vary by as much as 10% when wood is measured at 70ish F vs in the 30's F.
Thanks, I've been wondering how much of a difference the temperature makes. Does the MM reading tend to run higher or lower at cold temps?

I thought I read somewhere pressing the pins into your open palm, not far enough to draw blood, should be ~25%

27% probing my palm fairly hard.

No reading in 2x4 just reads lo. But the wood I brought in to the house is now 36% for the elder and 24% for the aspen. So I guess temp has a pretty decent impact :)

Just probed my hand, 29% in the meaty part at the thumb

i tested some box elder that was 93%....