moisture meter makes/ models/ satisfaction?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hello all-

I've done some searches, but to my surprise, have found only scattered remarks, not any run-down

I know I can get some ElCheapoGrande from Harbor Freight or off of eBay- which I doubt will be very accurate and I also tend to think, based on prior experiences with cheap tools/ electronics, may not last long.

The cheapies also seem to have a limited range of moisture % that only covers the range between almost seasoned and well seasoned-

I'd like something that also can tell me where I start with fresh cut wood, so I can grow to understand how the different species of wood progress towards full dry, and how fast, under different storage/ weather.

I also do not need and cannot afford any kind of lab/pro grade unit.

Any nominations for something that can fit the above bill for a serious amateur?

Thanks, as always, for all the help and camaraderie around Hearth

You'll get lots of different opinions, but all the discussion I've seen suggests that the cheap e-bay / harbor freight units are reasonable for use on fire wood - I have one of the cheap HF units and it's far from perfect, but it does a reasonably decent job far as I can tell... Goes in two ranges 7-15% and 16-35% which is not great but adequate - if you peg the 35% you know it's to wet to burn...

Construction is not great, but seems adequate to the task.

Biggest single point seems to be a preference for the meters with two point sensors rather than four point... You need a very flat surface (like a board) for a 4 prong sensor to work, which can be a problem on splits, while the two prong sensors work on anything, albeit with slightly less accuracy, but again adequate to the task.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
You'll get lots of different opinions, but all the discussion I've seen suggests that the cheap e-bay / harbor freight units are reasonable for use on fire wood - I have one of the cheap HF units and it's far from perfect, but it does a reasonably decent job far as I can tell... Goes in two ranges 7-15% and 16-35% which is not great but adequate - if you peg the 35% you know it's to wet to burn...

Construction is not great, but seems adequate to the task.

Biggest single point seems to be a preference for the meters with two point sensors rather than four point... You need a very flat surface (like a board) for a 4 prong sensor to work, which can be a problem on splits, while the two prong sensors work on anything, albeit with slightly less accuracy, but again adequate to the task.

Gooserider
Agreed. I have the same el cheapo meter from HF. I'm not big on cheap tools, but for what I need it to do, and the frequency I use it, the cheap HF meter is well suited. I can't see spending a lot of money on one of these. If it's something you'll use daily, I guess I can see spending the money, but this is not I tool I use very much... just a couple times a year to see how my wood is progressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.