Moisture Meters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor cuts wood in the summer and in the winter and burns it green, it smolders in their dragon and they have creosote that looks like tar or bedliner sprayed all on the inside of thier old craft stove. And he is the cheif of the volonteer FD here in the small town.

Some of those you can smell a quarter mile away...

Picked up a MM from HF yesterday.
I checked my split oak in the basement (seasoned for 6-8 months outside then moved inside for another full year). It measured 12-14%.
I keep a fan on the basement stack to aid drying.
The splits I did two weeks ago and are sitting outside in a covered rack I resplit and checked the MM - the locust read 20-22% on different splits.
I checked a piece of dimensional lumber inside the house - the MM read between 6-8%.
I was impressed at how consistent the readings were from various splits in the different wood rotations I have.
Worth the $12 I think.

I get 6-10% on lumber in the house as well, so I guess it's consistent with everyone else's readings. Maybe it's not too bad then, BTW it's a General. I do hate Chinses junk, we need to manufacture our own stuff!

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.