Moisture reading for green wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gregwood

Oct 17, 2018
Connecticut
I have one of those electronic moisture meters and just bucked up a large maple tree that fell recently. And was curious about how dry it was. I was surprised that the readings were anywhere between 19 and 23 percent for green wood. Is that possible? I know you need at least 20% moisture to burn.

Everything is possible but most likely something isn't right. Split some and take it inside to room temperature for at least 24hrs. 48hrs better. Then resplit it and measure them.

Put the two probes on your palm. Should read low 30's.

Put the two probes on your palm. Should read low 30's.

24 on palm
18.3 on self tested that comes with meter. Normal.
5.6 on 3 year old dry oak.

Are these measurements on fresh split faces of the firewood? If so, you don't have firewood there, you have interior oak trim board.

The oak I have was 1 year old aged when I bought. Then forgotten about when left next to a unused fireplace for 3 years. Lol.

I think your reading significantly low. ~10points

My meter has 4 settings/groups.

Maple would be number 4. If I checked it on setting 1 I bet it would read 16. If i check on setting 4, like I should it would read ~35. Just something to check seeing how you didn't say which meter.

General meter from lowes. 29.99