JackThompson899 Posted By JackThompson899, Nov 7, 2018 at 2:43 PM

1. JackThompson899

JackThompson899
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 1, 2018
    Loc:
    Pacific Northwest US
    Hey guys, sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I also have the same stove and this is the only place on the entire internet I've found mention of it or an image of it.

I've attached pictures of my stove that I am restoring, and I'm learning a lot just going through the thread on this site, great stuff!

I have a few follow up questions. (I'll be using this stove to heat a cabin in the woods)

For the inside, this seems to have basic 10 gauge steel for the sides and cast iron for the top and bottom.

I was looking at solutions for this (Since I don't know how it was originally configured) and instead of double lining it and putting KAO Wool between the steel sheets, or installing fire brick I think I'm going to line it with refractory cement. I'm thinking 1/4"-1/2" of cement lining the sides should be ok, but with all the discussions of heat radiation on wood stoves I'm reading, I'm wondering if lining this with refractory cement will screw up my heat radiation, or if it'll be ok.

There is a door in the front bottom for removing ash and allowing air flow into it, so I'm going to forge a steel grate for the bottom to keep the coals off the cast iron bottom and give me a void I can shovel from. I assume it had something like this before.

From the pictures, does anybody know if this stove is missing a bottom front shelf? In all the similar wood stoves I've seen they have a little shelf this one doesn't seem to have.

Attached Files:

2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    This needs a new thread for better responses.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    JackThompson899 likes this.
  3. JackThompson899

JackThompson899
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 1, 2018
    Loc:
    Pacific Northwest US
    Thanks! :)

4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Looks a bit like an early variation on the Ashley design.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...