more $$ for softwood??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cac4

Jul 11, 2008
Essex County, MA
been calling around, and a couple of dealers have softwood pellets in stock...they want even more money than the prices I'm seeing listed for hardwood. is that typical?

I know some people (like, the people who sell them) say that softwood produces more heat and less ash...lots of users report the exact opposite. So...I'm convinced. %-P

Interesting thing is that quadra fire brochure has a * by the btu rating the the AE It says softwood pellets 60,200 and hardwood pellets 54,000 btu. It looks like they base there btu output on softwood pellets.

Many softwood pellets used to be railroaded in from the west coast and western canada!

They were usually better than eastern hardwood pellets.......less ash, less clinkers and better burn. Now there are also eastern softwood pellets.....

In general, I think a well made softwood pellet is as good or better than mixed or hardwoods. Maybe something to do with more gases in softwood and less "coals"......since pellet stoves are more reliant on the flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.