More on splitting wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I split all my wood by hand and I always put the round I am splitting on a larger round. Sure, it is less efficient that way, but I get a more solid surface to hit the round on, and I am used to doing it that way. I am not all that concerned with efficiency, because I enjoy splitting and I am way ahead on wood supply. I use a regular long-handled 8# maul and a fiskar's splitting ax interchangably. The one advantage of the fiskar's ax is that I can take it camping and use it for all steps from limbing to chopping logs to length, to splitting. Can't do that with a maul, but the maul is better for tough rounds when you need a little extra kinetic energy.

I have split all my wood by hand for the last 40 years or so. I have been around the block with these mauls and axes and have seen how easy it is to hurt yourself with these tools. A glancing blow on a nasty round would be enough to cripple a person for life. Working tired just increases the danger. As long as the Fiskers comes with a short handle I'm positive there well never be one around my wood yard. David

Carbon_Liberator
What kind of wood is that in your pic of rounds and splitting equipment?
Thank you

I have one of these http://www.lowes.com/pd_147592-302-1217000_4294857277+4294961306_4294937087_?productId=3013823&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl_True+Temper_4294857277+4294961306_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&facetInfo;=
I love it. It has a longer handle than the fiskars splitting axe. I am 6'1'' and I can split wood on the ground with it. The only thing you have to watch since it is so light it will bounce back if you hit something that is really hard.

I just dug a hole in the ground the length of a stump and put the stump in the hole, then put the log thats gettin split on top, leaving it at ground level.

If your concerned about losing energy by not having something under the round you are splitting you could split your wood where you felled the tree and use the stump from that tree cut at a height of your choice,that stump doesn't have a lot of give while being attached to the earth through its root system.I like to split my wood where the tree was cut to eliminate handling the wood too many times.

I've been splitting wood by hand (and with a splitter when i cna score one for a weekend) for about 30 years or so now, started when I was in my single digits. I've always split n a block. In my view its absolutely essential to use a splitting block...it provides a solid, hard surface that you can stand your rounds on and keeps the top of the round just around waits height, so I always get a good, solid strike. Its a plus that I also prevent myself from driving the business end of the axe into the dirt where it'll nick up the edge...of course this logic does not apply if you're using a traditional maul, which I do use for about 90% of the work.

I have enver tried a Fiskars, I already had a good quality fiberglass handled 10lb sledge, 6lb maul and a nice sharp double headed chopping axe by the time I heard about the Fiskars, so until my maul breaks I won't be picking one up.

If any other memebrs live in the central Berkshire county area and you'd be willing to let me try your out, I'd love to take a few swings and see what all the fuss is about.

Backwoods, simple question. Have you ever split a cord of wood with a Fiskers compared to splitting a cord with a heavy maul? I know you have much more experience with a vertical splitter and a large maul but trust me. Split a cord with a maul and then split one with a Fiskers, you will know why we rave. I know you have split many more cords than me but Electric and Hydraulic splitters are a different category.

Skin, no, I have never used a Fiskars. However, for many, many moons I split wood with an axe. That started back in the 40's. I did not get the hydraulics until around 1990 (I think it was 1989 but don't remember for sure). So I do have a bit of experience using an axe; both single and double bit.

That's my point, much respect due to you for all your experience but you have never given the Fiskers a try. Give the ole girl a try some day, I am guessing at your age a few pounds off the axe would be appreciated. Kidding, completely kidding, lol. But seriously, back off the Fiskers, lol. I have older coworkers that have split wood all their life look at my Fiskers and laugh. I point them to the wood pile and say give her a go. They walk away changed men EVERY time.

I'll keep that in mind Skin. But I still shudder at the thought of those injuries and it gets worse every time I look at that thing. Methinks I like the regular axe very well yet. I like the hydraulics even better now. lol

btw, that does not mean I would not try the Fiskars if I ever got a chance.

Location, location, location.. We just had a large maple taken down (some rounds 24" x 36" in diameter). Fortunately, it was felled right next to one of my horseshoe pits. I put a 4" tall split in the pit, which brings it slightly above ground level. I roll the larger rounds over to the pit, topple them over onto the round in the pit, and play "whack a mole" with the Fiskars Super Splitter. Works great. Terrific tool. Of course, if I have any stubborn rounds, I would not hesitate to pull out my other equipment and play "Whack a Maul".

Backwoods, the Fiskers is a deceiving tool for sure. I went to buy it at first and just could not do it, seemed way too short and way too light. I walked out of the store after picking it up. After breaking my 6 lb maul I went for it and have not looked back. Dangerous? Yes, steel toes and good form are a must. Legs apart aim for the center back and swing quickly, pop. Can swing that thing all day. My Wife is really not a very coordinated person, even she will admit that. 6 lb maul was way to much tool for her. She can grab the Fiskers and mange to split a few rounds which puts a smile on her face. I really enjoy using the Fiskers to pick up my rounds from the pile. Just eye up a round swing the axe at it and bring it to the splitting block. Mind you it usually splits right in the pile.

Christmas is coming Savage, go on and ask Santa for a Fiskers. You know you want one!

The main reason I have never bought a Fiskars is because with my old maul I split everything easily, unlike many people. It has never disappointed me. I don't get tired using it, I don't have any problems using it, I use it almost daily, and I haven't broken it in over 25 years. Splitting firewood is one of my favorite things to do. Would I try a Fiskars if someone handed it to me? Sure, I'd probably take a swing or two with it. I would definitely let my little wife try it out, I think it's small handle and lightweight would probably work well for her, if she was ever inclined to help with the firewood that is! But would I ever buy one for myself? No, probably not. My old maul splits wood perfectly for me and I'm happy with that.

I split wood using a maul from age 10 to age 40. No problems. Came on this site and heard of the Fiskars SS. I love new toys, and a better mousetrap....never too old to try new things....progress is good. Bought a Fiskars SS on Amazon.com. Is the handle a little shorter than I'm used to? Sure. I adjusted a few things about my swing, and.......wow....I love it. Its so light and sharp, it makes splitting (which I love to do) sooooo much easier. Now, my maul is still in the arsenal....it has its place.I use the Fiskars for the really pretty,round, less knotty stuff. Mostly just for exersize and fun. Gotta give the hydraulic splitter a workout,too! ;-)

quads said:
The main reason I have never bought a Fiskars is because with my old maul I split everything easily, unlike many people. It has never disappointed me. I don't get tired using it, I don't have any problems using it, I use it almost daily, and I haven't broken it in over 25 years. Splitting firewood is one of my favorite things to do. Would I try a Fiskars if someone handed it to me? Sure, I'd probably take a swing or two with it. I would definitely let my little wife try it out, I think it's small handle and lightweight would probably work well for her, if she was ever inclined to help with the firewood that is! But would I ever buy one for myself? No, probably not. My old maul splits wood perfectly for me and I'm happy with that.

Well said quads. However, I would not let my little woman get hold of an axe! I won't even let her run the hydraulic splitter.

One of the things not mentioned is the variation in efficiency and power of the individual swing.

30 years of splitting ( including more than a few broken handles and near injuries) has given me an efficient , hard hitting and accurate swing with my 8lb maul. I doubt if a Fiskars would get me anything.

However for those with many fewer reps the Fiskars appears to make up for accuracy with a shorter handle and replace impact energy with sharpness/shape.

My maul is no maintenance and I'm more likely to break my leg than cut my leg with it.

Gerry, that is one thing I have wondered about but hesitated to post it. There no doubt will be a big difference in the swing of someone on only their first several years vs someone like quads. He has just done it for so long that he is very efficient. Being a farmer also helps him because he has done lots of other physical work so his body is no doubt in great shape. My hat is off to that man!

I will say it again. the only people who have bad things to say about the Fiskars on this forum are those who have never used one.

I split on a big old Norway Maple round. The height is perfect for me as the blade of my maul (Fiskars or Craftsman 6#) hits the round on the flat, using the whole blade to make contact. I try to split right off the truck so using the chopping block is no issue because the rounds are on the way down when they land on it. What is also nice about the chopping block is that I can adjust my swing so that the Fiskars stays in it on the last split so that I don't have to put it on the ground or stand it up against something while I get the next round. When I am cutting on the woods I use the Fiskars to half or quarter bigger rounds right on the ground so that they are easier to lift up onto the truck. I have also split with fresh cut rounds on their side as somebody else mentioned here.
The Fiskars SSA is neither maul nor axe. It is a lightweight, precision, hybrid tool. Due to the lighter weight I can swing it much faster and land it exactly where I want it. I cam also adjust my swing to split bigger rounds about 3/4 of the way through in several spots so that the final blow leaves me with 4 or more splits. I can also swing the lighter Fiskars much longer than I could my 6 pounder and I don't feel it the next day either. I turned 40 this year and I can tell that my body is getting older. The lighter Fiskars will probably cut down on wear and tear on me too. In fact I just bought the 2 1/4 lb Pro Splitting Axe the other day. I figure that if the SSA has been working so well for me, that going to the lighter one will save even more wear and tear on my not so young anymore body. I know 40 is not that old, but I intend to split by hand for many more years.

Don't knock it until you try it. Or, knock so that those of us who own and invariably like our Fiskars will have another importunity to expound upon the virtues of a well designed and built tool.

Backwoods Savage said:
Gerry, that is one thing I have wondered about but hesitated to post it. There no doubt will be a big difference in the swing of someone on only their first several years vs someone like quads. He has just done it for so long that he is very efficient. Being a farmer also helps him because he has done lots of other physical work so his body is no doubt in great shape. My hat is off to that man!
Aw shucks. Thank you. I'm no big deal, just do what I have to do and enjoy it while I'm doing it like I've always done my whole life. I worry less about better/easier ways to do things and I do the job with what I have. Do I wonder if there is a faster/easier/quicker way to split wood? Not really. I just split it the way I know how until it's done. It works well for me.

And just for the record, I do not knock the Fiskars (to each his own, I don't care). I see a lot more maul-knocking going on, to some of which I try to remind that not everybody has trouble with a maul, contrary to popular belief. Otherwise, makes no difference to me how anybody splits their wood. I have no problems with my maul (and I'm way older than most of you might imagine). HAHA!

you can do a search for my several posts on how much I like/dislike the Fiskars. the point is that it can be useful, but it certainly will never be my primary splitting tool. It has its place. I just don't see how anybody can use it exclusively. It's worth every penny I spent on it, but it just seems to continuously have this crazy following that I'll never understand. same handle material, longer handle, same head shape, but 2 pounds heavier, and I think I might use it more often.

BTW, i haven't been splitting for 40 years, but I'm pretty good at it. I'm pretty good at aiming, but about once ever few hours of splitting I have a bad swing that glances or something. I don't worry about that with a maul, but it only takes one glance with this crazy sharp Fiskars to earn the Nickname of "Stumpy". I split a bunch on a block when I first got it, but one close call changed my mind. I use it on the ground now while doing the splits. At 6'2" I'm sure I look awkward.

quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Aw shucks. Thank you. I'm no big deal, just do what I have to do and enjoy it while I'm doing it like I've always done my whole life. I worry less about better/easier ways to do things and I do the job with what I have. Do I wonder if there is a faster/easier/quicker way to split wood? Not really. I just split it the way I know how until it's done. It works well for me.

And just for the record, I do not knock the Fiskars (to each his own, I don't care). I see a lot more maul-knocking going on, to some of which I try to remind that not everybody has trouble with a maul, contrary to popular belief. Otherwise, makes no difference to me how anybody splits their wood. I have no problems with my maul (and I'm way older than most of you might imagine). HAHA!

But quads, just like a good boxer, you have to get in a few jabs! Hopefully there is no offense taken by anyone as that is not the intention. Methinks most folks know that.

Backwoods Savage said:
But quads, just like a good boxer, you have to get in a few jabs! Hopefully there is no offense taken by anyone as that is not the intention. Methinks most folks know that.
Ah, but Dennis, I only jab at the hilarious (sometimes hysterical) frenzy surrounding the Fiskars! HA! Never the tool itself. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.