More on splitting wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:
But quads, just like a good boxer, you have to get in a few jabs! Hopefully there is no offense taken by anyone as that is not the intention. Methinks most folks know that.
Ah, but Dennis, I only jab at the hilarious (sometimes hysterical) frenzy surrounding the Fiskars! HA! Never the tool itself. :-D
You two better be careful, one day you might have a very offended devout Fiskars owner show up on your doorstep and show you some uses for that razor sharp axe you weren't expecting! >:-(

Carbon_Liberator said:
You two better be careful, one day you might have a very offended devout Fiskars owner show up on your doorstep and show you some uses for that razor sharp axe you weren't expecting! >:-(
;-)

If they show up, I'll just sic quads on them. I'll back him up.....way back.

All joking aside, I know there are folks on here that love their Fiskars and I should stop picking. I've had some fun but I also shudder at the possibilities of injuries with that thing. Because I worked in the woods for a time I've seen some pretty bad accidents and I would really hate to hear any more folks from hearth.com or anywhere from using the tool. We've already heard enough!

pking said:
It really does not matter to me wheather it is on the ground or block. If the ground is getting soft, i like to use a block. My wife has been learning to split wood and she feels more comfortable using the block at this time. I think it gives her some extra confidence that if she misses, it just hits the block.

I have to have something substantial under the log I'm splitting. Not tall but something that helps remove the cushioning effect of the ground. I think this is one of the reasons people use a log to split on top of besides the back thing. You can lose a lot of energy if the ground is soft.

Of course Fiskars now has the 4.5lb with a longer handle, 4"-6" longer, and this just makes it that much better and I guess safer although I never had an issue with the shorter one. With the longer hadle you get significantly more head speed and therefore more power.

Methinks the longer handle will indeed improve the Fiskars and no doubt we'll soon get some reviews.

One of the funniest things about the new Fiskars with the long handle is the fact that before they invented it, the short handle was always touted as one of the features that made a Fiskars so great. HAHA! I fully intend to buy a long-handled Fiskars when/if I ever see one for sale around here, if for no other reason than to say I have one....

I got used to the short handled Fiskars and have always liked it, but now that I have the longer handle there's no turning back!

quads said:
One of the funniest things about the new Fiskars with the long handle is the fact that before they invented it, the short handle was always touted as one of the features that made a Fiskars so great. HAHA! I fully intend to buy a long-handled Fiskars when/if I ever see one for sale around here, if for no other reason than to say I have one....

No need quads. Just paint "Fiskars" on the handle and you are all set. Worry not, that splitting maul will outlast you! Well, maybe will....

Backwoods Savage said:
quads said:

No need quads. Just paint "Fiskars" on the handle and you are all set. Worry not, that splitting maul will outlast you! Well, maybe will....

Great idea Savage!! :lol:

DSC09936-1.jpg

Okay folks, this is what the ground looks like around my cabin. Are any of you going to split with an axe (Fiskars or otherwise) on the ground, with nothing underneath? Unless you have perfect aim, you're going to spend a lot of time resharpening.

Attachments

• P1000171 (2) (1280x818).jpg
    P1000171 (2) (1280x818).jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 147
DanCorcoran said:
Okay folks, this is what the ground looks like around my cabin. Are any of you going to split with an axe (Fiskars or otherwise) on the ground, with nothing underneath? Unless you have perfect aim, you're going to spend a lot of time resharpening.
I haven't resharpened in 40 years, not going to start now. HAHA!

Hey Loon, what's that funny looking gray tape on that handle?

Dan, I'd do it and I'm with quads on the sharpening.

Status
Not open for further replies.