More places to cut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
I've got around 100 acres to cut on but my uncle told me I could cut the dead standing and down on his 40 acres. Might as well cut his trees first huh? It's right up the road.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Rebelduckman you're in the right area to find sweetgum. Can you keep an eye out for one?
Its one I havent seen and the books have conflicting photography.
They have the star shaped leaves.

I've got around 100 acres to cut on but my uncle told me I could cut the dead standing and down on his 40 acres. Might as well cut his trees first huh? It's right up the road.
;lol You sound like me; I've got 8 or 10 dead Red Oaks on the ground but my hoarding instinct takes over and I'll jump at the chance to grab wood from elsewhere. I say, snatch it up! ;lol Actually, I usually only go offsite for wood that I rarely find dead here, like White Oak, or stuff I don't have like BL. I've got 10 acres. I'm supplying my SILs also, they have 5 acres each adjoining our property. I never have to cut a live tree. Each of us only burn a couple cords a year, so don't even come close to using all the dead wood here. We are grabbing dead wood at my BIL's to replenish his stacks. He's got about 3 acres, but we'll probably pull a couple years' worth out, just getting wood that's already down. Red Oak, Pignut and several small Red Elm. I also talked to the guy behind him about grabbing dead, down wood and he said "Have at it." The stuff I'm looking at is within a couple hundred yards of my BIL's stacks. >>

Reactions: Rebelduckman
sweetgum. Its one I havent seen and the books have conflicting photography.
Here's a couple. I'll try to get more.
001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

I'm looking at 5 from the house. The stuff grows like weeds round here.
I read somewhere that it (and Tulip, I think) will out-compete other species. I have seen a few pockets of Sweetgum in the area but I think they need a lot of light because I don't see them deep in the woods.

I read somewhere that it (and Tulip, I think) will out-compete other species. I have seen a few pockets of Sweetgum in the area but I think they need a lot of light because I don't see them deep in the woods.

Come to think about it I don't either. Deep in the woods is were the real good stuff usually is around here

Woody, no way would I go for that stuff. Look at how many knots you will be dealing with when you go to split it.

Rebelduckman you're in the right area to find sweetgum. Can you keep an eye out for one?

I'm in the process of processing a sweet gum now. There are a lot of them here in NJ.

What do you want to know or see about them?

Woody, no way would I go for that stuff. Look at how many knots you will be dealing with when you go to split it.
;lol No, I was saying I'd get Applesister some more pics, not that I was going to try to get more Sweetgum. That's a tree that's on the edge of the woods near the road, lotsa light so lotsa branches. I hope it never dies. ;lol
I'm in the process of processing a sweet gum now. There are a lot of them here in NJ. What do you want to know or see about them?
I don't want to know any more about them than I already do, hence I avoid them whenever possible. ;lol

One reason sweet gums compete so well is because they re-sprout from stumps like crazy. If you cut 100 gums, 99 of them would grow right back with no problem at all.

I've got you a couple pics I took today but I'll have to wait until I'm on the wifi to upload. I've got one of those cell plans that slows down your internet speed to a turtles pace after 3gb used

Status
Not open for further replies.