Morso 1BO issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

westofhistory

Jan 13, 2023
South Dakota
Hello all,

Hoping for some help.
So I’m running a Morso 1BO and I can’t quite figure it out. I’m not sure if I’m doing things right or wrong. I have a copy of the original owners manual, but it appears to explain everything by “feel”.

So here’s my issues, and maybe they’re not even issues.

So I have a magnet temp gauge about 18inches above the the stove in the pipe. It seem impossible to ever get it above 350.

I use a temp gun to check the stove as well as the top reburner and they can be 550, but the temp gauge never hits that. The stove only seems to build heat with the door cracked open. I’ve tried fans, or a cracked window, seems to make no difference.

Draft appears fine. My system goes up 2 feet then 2 1/2 feet via 45 degree bends about a foot up difference until it hits the wall tee. Pipes are new and clean. Put the wall it goes up about 10 feet to the cap. I know it’s a shorter pipe, but unless it’s super windy, and even then not really, I have good draft.

I have noticed a few areas where I can see the stove needs to be resealed. ( around the heat exchanger and a corner of the box)

Anyways, with the door closed the air spinner wide open does nothing, but slowly kill the fire. Turning it tighter only lessens the fire more. Neither get the stove any hotter. Best I can hope for is when the door is open long enough to get really hot, closing it with the spinner wide enough and maintaining a fire for a while at that temp.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated. With this stove should I even trust the magnet temp gauge? Is it doing what the stove is supposed to? Idk. Todays been a frustrating day with 50 mph gusts which are making the process even harder to maintain temps. I just want to make it run it’s best as it does heat our 2000 sqft house even with the issues, but I don’t want a massive creosote build up either.

Ps we also to not have a damper in the pipe, not sure if that would be a good ideas or not.

Thanks

There is a possibility that the thermometer is off. Cheap ones tend to be unreliable. Is this on single-wall stove pipe? If so, 350ºF is about right.

How dry is the wood being burned? Has it been tested for moisture content?

FWIW, a .8 cu ft stove is not going to heat a 2,000 sq ft house except in mild weather even with ideal fuel, draft, and operation unless it is super-insulated with few windows.

There is a possibility that the thermometer is off. Cheap ones tend to be unreliable. Is this on single-wall stove pipe? If so, 350ºF is about right.

How dry is the wood being burned? Has it been tested for moisture content?

FWIW, a .8 cu ft stove is not going to heat a 2,000 sq ft house except in mild weather even with ideal fuel, draft, and operation unless it is super-insulated with few

Here all we have is ponderosa pine. Which I and everyone here have burned forever with no issues (when dry and annual cleanings).

However I just started burning a standing dead pipe which when splitting was not the driest for sure.

248A9274-39BC-4903-AF96-2DC82D2CDBD4.png

Pine is ok, not as much heat and it burns up quickly, as long as it's fully seasoned. If not, then not as much heat and a stronger creosote potential.