Morso 2110 drafting problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigT

Dec 3, 2006
Hi, Folks: I just instaled a Morso 2110. We inserted into a raised hearth, and are drafting through the top. On starting a fire, we are having problems getting smoke over that ceiling which blocks direct flow to the chimney. i assume they put that in there to deflect heat and reburn some of the gases. It takes about five minutes of burn to get that flu heated and get smoke up it. In the meantime, I am getting almost all of that smoke backflowing into my playroom, and it is going to ruin my house if it doesn't stop. I've stopped using newspaper and moved to fatwood, which has cut down on the smoke a bit, but it is still a big problem. And fatwood smoke is black pitch-filled stuff which is even worse. Even when I try to heat the flu a bit with a small flame, holding a piece of burning fatwood or newspaper up near the chimney intake, I can't seem to get it to draft that well until I get a significant amount of heat. I was thinking of taking a blow dryer before starting the fire, and blowing hot air up there for about five minutes before lighting. Or getting a propane torch and doing the same. I am at the end of the game with this thing. Either it starts to draft or it goes...Any suggestions? PS: chimney is 6-inch stainless steel pipe, insulated, runs about 15 feet to chimney top.
Thanks, CT

I should add that the problem from my point of view is the way they made the Morso with that ceiling, reburn plate blocking direct flow into the chimney.

Most all stoves are made that way.
How many elbows?
What elevation?
Is it a external chimney?
Have you checked the cap to make sure you didnt plug it with creosote?
Do you have any kitchen fans or anything going? They can create negative pressure.

Any stove you buy that has the same relative efficiency will work the same on the same chimney.
One of two things are going on, its user error with the stove operation, or the chimney isnt right.

Thanks. One small 45 degree elbow. We are taking the pipe the old fireplace chimney.

Is this an external chimney? Is the playroom in the basement?

Fatwood is smokey. I would try a couple balls of newspaper place up on the baffle. Or for starters, I would try Super Cedars which are much more clean burning.

CT said:
Hi, Folks: I just instaled a Morso 2110. We inserted into a raised hearth, and are drafting through the top. On starting a fire, we are having problems getting smoke over that ceiling which blocks direct flow to the chimney. i assume they put that in there to deflect heat and reburn some of the gases. It takes about five minutes of burn to get that flu heated and get smoke up it. In the meantime, I am getting almost all of that smoke backflowing into my playroom, and it is going to ruin my house if it doesn't stop. I've stopped using newspaper and moved to fatwood, which has cut down on the smoke a bit, but it is still a big problem. And fatwood smoke is black pitch-filled stuff which is even worse. Even when I try to heat the flu a bit with a small flame, holding a piece of burning fatwood or newspaper up near the chimney intake, I can't seem to get it to draft that well until I get a significant amount of heat. I was thinking of taking a blow dryer before starting the fire, and blowing hot air up there for about five minutes before lighting. Or getting a propane torch and doing the same. I am at the end of the game with this thing. Either it starts to draft or it goes...Any suggestions? PS: chimney is 6-inch stainless steel pipe, insulated, runs about 15 feet to chimney top.
Thanks, CT

Email me your shipping address and I will send you some samples of the Super Cedar Firestarters. The will get a draft going within 2 minutes. (reaches 1200 degrees within 3 minutes) and way less smoke then fatwood.
Thomas
[email protected]

Thanks for the good advice, y'all. i just fired up. I ran a blow dryer up the flu for five minutes, and started out with a much smaller kindling fire, about the size of a hand, and that did the trick. No smoke backflow at all. I think the whole problem is the cold air plug in the relatively long chimney. yeah, the playroom is in a lower level, the flu goes up the former chimney of the house. there might have been some backdraft, as he moderator noted, from the furnace pulling in air right off the playroom. Man, I never thought it would be that sensistive.

Agreed, and a very good little heater. You might want to look into providing outside air to the stove or to the furnace. In the meantime email Thomas for SuperCedar samples, they'll be your friend. You'll only need a half one to get the stove going strong.

Give a try to the way Morso suggests in the 2110 manual. It gives very good instructions and advice about your intial fire. 2-3 pounds of kindling in a crisscross pattern, max 1 inch size, doors only slightly cracked open, air control wide open. Methinks the "hand-sized" wood may be too big until the fire is well established. Previous suggestions about jumpstarting the draft (if needed) are good ones.

And yes, it IS a beautiful stove...!

CT said:
Thanks for the good advice, y'all. i just fired up. I ran a blow dryer up the flu for five minutes, and started out with a much smaller kindling fire, about the size of a hand, and that did the trick. No smoke backflow at all.... Man, I never thought it would be that sensistive.

Glad to hear it's working for you. I too burn a 2110, It's heating the entire house while we are here. I did have some startup issues when temp differentail in to out was small.

Now that the stove is never "cold" I seem to have more than enough draft.

Garett

CT said:
Thanks, CT

Pour a little used motor oil...like a couple table spoons on the news paper. That get's things hot fast and burns off in a minute or so, so won't damage the stove.

Why? I grew up in the eastern UP and still have family there. Grandparents "camp" is on Muskolonge Lake, north of Newberry.

Garett

Status
Not open for further replies.