Morso 2B Classic vs. Vermont Castings Intrepid II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AlaskaLife

Aug 4, 2018
Hello All,

I have always wanted a wood stove, and am finally getting one installed! I am torn between the Morso 2B Classic, and the Vermont Castings Intrepid II. I know they are pretty different stoves, but I am interested in individual reviews, burn times, brand reputation etc. I live in a 1200 sq/ft home with about 300 feet being upstairs. My home is five star energy rated, and I prefer for the temp to not go about 65. This wood stove will be a secondary heat source, but the primary heat source when the power goes out.I live on Alaskas Cook Inlet, and our winters can become a bit cold. Winter temps are always below freezing, frequently in the single digits, and occasionally dip into the negatives.

I appreciate any advice!!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Why do you want a Vermont Castings? That brand has a bad reputation.

The Intrepid II is a good looker and not a bad little stove but it is much more complex than the Morso 2B. Higher complexity means more to go wrong over time. The catalytic technology will help it burn longer, which is important during a power outage. The 2B is a very reliable and simple stove that can put out some good heat. Due to a smaller firebox it will have a bit shorter burn time than the Intrepid and will need reloading every few hours.

May I suggest that you widen your scope to provide more options? In Morso, consider the model 2110. This will provide a nicer fireview and about double the burn time as the 2B. I would also look at the Hampton H200 or H300 which is sold by Regency dealers. This is a solid, simple little heater that is the same size as the Morso 2110. Another stoves to check out is the Pacific Energy Alderlea T4.

Why do you want a Vermont Castings? That brand has a bad reputation.
After some additional research I have decided to rule out the Vermont Casting Interprid II. I am now focusing on different Morso models. I still love the 2B Classic, but am now considering the 1440 and 2110.

The Intrepid II is a good looker and not a bad little stove but it is much more complex than the Morso 2B. Higher complexity means more to go wrong over time. The catalytic technology will help it burn longer, which is important during a power outage. The 2B is a very reliable and simple stove that can put out some good heat. Due to a smaller firebox it will have a bit shorter burn time than the Intrepid and will need reloading every few hours.

May I suggest that you widen your scope to provide more options? In Morso, consider the model 2110. This will provide a nicer fireview and about double the burn time as the 2B. I would also look at the Hampton H200 or H300 which is sold by Regency dealers. This is a solid, simple little heater that is the same size as the Morso 2110. Another stoves to check out is the Pacific Energy Alderlea T4.

Thank you for the recommendations! I have decided that a non-catalytic stove is the best option for me. I am very partial to the Morso Squirrel stoves. I love the character, however I really wanted a stove with a better fireview. I am now considering the Morso 1440, 2110, and the 2B classic. Functionality wise I believe the 2110 would be an excellent stove, however I really love the character of the Squirrel stoves! I wish my little house was large enough to support both!

Good move, Alaskalife. And it is a very sad story. I built a log cabin in Georgia in 1988 and I bought the best wood stove on the market, the Vermont Castings Resolute. I lived there for 6 years and that was a great stove for me and I burned it a lot.
Sold the house and the stove with it.

In 1993 there was a revolution in the wood stove industry as the EPA introduced new regs and every company scrambled to meet the strict new emission standards. Jotul, for example, went to all catalytic converters.
VC tried this and tried that but didn't work out well, the company got sold a couple of times, and the quality went to crap.

Very sad story but that 1988 Resolute was one great wood stove.

I love my squirrel stove but be aware that a full cord of 10" x 3" firewood contains upwards of 1400 splits (I just counted one) so be prepared to spend lots of time processing it yourself or trading in your firstborn to pay someone else.

Clue me in Squirrel what in the World in a Squirrel Stove? Never heard of that one.
I do like the looks of that squirrel in the cast iron.

Squirrel stoves are Morso's smallest traditional cast stove in all it's different forms, from the original made when God was a boy to present day EPA approved. Made in Denmark

Squirrel stoves are Morso's smallest traditional cast stove in all it's different forms, from the original made when God was a boy to present day EPA approved. Made in Denmark

How big is your house? We are in downeast Maine and considering an antique Parlor Stove, Morso 2b classic, and Jotul F118 CB. We would also consider old versions of the Morso or Jotul, but we like the cleaner burn and glass doors on the newer models. I like the Morso over the Jotul, but I don't think it will be enough stove when it gets down to 20 below in February.

How big is your house? We are in downeast Maine and considering an antique Parlor Stove, Morso 2b classic, and Jotul F118 CB. We would also consider old versions of the Morso or Jotul, but we like the cleaner burn and glass doors on the newer models. I like the Morso over the Jotul, but I don't think it will be enough stove when it gets down to 20 below in February.

I am in South Central PA. I've got a 2B as secondary heat for my basement (approx. 600 sq ft). I was afraid anything larger to would cook me out. The 2B will throw out some pretty impressive heat once you get it going. As others have said, the firebox is pretty small, but if I damp it down, I always have coals the next day. With a good bed of ashes, I have had coals hot enough to relight the fire a day later. I am piped into a masonry chimney with a ceramic liner and the basement is pretty tight, so I have to go through a ritual to get it drafting correctly initially. Once it is going, all is good.

I'm only heating 750sq ft of fairly well insulated and sealed space but we have survived four days of continuous -40 temps on squirrel heat alone. That does mean reloading overnight though.
The secret is dry hardwood cut and split to fit the stove exactly during really cold spells, and a couple of years practice.

I'm only heating 750sq ft of fairly well insulated and sealed space but we have survived four days of continuous -40 temps on squirrel heat alone. That does mean reloading overnight though.
The secret is dry hardwood cut and split to fit the stove exactly during really cold spells, and a couple of years practice.

I just feel like the squirrel stove would be pushing it for our house, as much as I love the 2b classic. We also don't have much hardwood around here, it's almost all spruce. I found a dying maple and some dying birches on the property I plan on felling, but it's 90% spruce here.