Morso 3440 - possible to use steel for fire box and baffle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gretle

Feb 4, 2021
Notts
Hi - I have a Morso 3440 which had previously been stood outside, consequently the internal cast iron sides with the owls have rusted heavily and pin holed (well bit bigger than a pin!) at a few points. I have attempted to patch weld with some success but was wondering about creating a supplementary steel (4mm) fire box - sides and baffle (the baffle has gone) with the cast iron case. Anybody tried this approach? Am I being totally over simplistic?

What a shame. It sounds like it's in bad shape and without a baffle it is not going to burn well. Can you post some pictures of the stove inside and out and of the damaged area(s)?

Thanks Begreen, yes I think at best it will make a outdoor unit for the patio. It is a shame as the outer sides, door etc are all very good. Pictures of the inner sides with weld patches, (poorly welded I know - it is cast!) Outer sides ( no rust) and top with new studs welded as existing bolts were rusted in holes and re-drilling proved very difficult with the cast being much softer than the bolts.

Attachments

• inner sides.jpg
    inner sides.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 115
  • outer side.jpg
    outer side.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 113
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 113
Good decision.