Morso 7110 vacuum leak? Creosote build-up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WDH756

Feb 17, 2020
Ohio
I have a Moreso 7110, flue set-up out of top, 6" single wall into insulated stainless chimney that transitions through wall outside to stand alone chimney (not masonry), ~17' in height. Stove serves as primary heat source in our yurt. So far this year we have been burning only ash, dry and seasoned.

Problem: Creosote is building up on the stove's ash pan door, pretty much all over in the ash chamber (below firebox). Particularly bad at the back of the ash pan chamber, almost seemingly climbing up into the firebox glazing the grate and appearing on the bottom of the vermiculite in the back of the firebox. Also, with the door open during a burn (which Moreso advises against), however, unavoidable during reloading - small puffs of smoke stream out the rear of the stove in a rear 1 inch circular opening that lays within a cut-out in the back panel cover.

Remedies already attempted: All the gaskets replaced with proper 8mm door, ash pan door, and 5mm flue collar, and ensured the glass is snug and secure and it's gasket still good and not overly worn, etc. Dollar bill tested all of the replaced gaskets, good to go. Also, ensured to the best of my ability that the baffle plates and blanket are all seated properly. Chimney brushed, swept, cleaned from rain cap to stove collar. Emailed Moreso, they say there stoves burn clean, creosote, etc should never appear in such a way. That was the translated response I received back.

Nothing to date seems to have changed the situation. After changing the gaskets and giving the firebox grate and the ash pan compartment and even the darn pan itself a thorough cleaning, after another night or two of fires, all the creosote is back. With the door open for a moment or two during reload, the small subtle stream of smoke out of that back inch diameter cut-out persists.

What is going on?!!

This is my first go round with a Moreso stove. We de-facto bought it with another property and brought it to our yurt because are old wood-stove was some inexpensive Menards' sold unit. Using the Moreso in the yurt seemed like a no brainer for efficiency and ease of use. Hell the Menard's unit never gave us problems, cheap as it was.

Anyone have experience with a Moreso stove similar to this? Any chance someone has experienced a similar situation with any stove that is comparable?

I do really appreciate any and all insight, thank you.

How old were the original Morso gaskets? Were the replacement gaskets OEM Morso parts?

If you can't solve the issue an option might be to let the ashpan fill up completely and just shovel out the ashes. I did this with our Jotul F400 and it burned better this way.

It is possible you don't have enough makeup air to supply the stove which is leading to poor draft. Have you tried cracking a window nearby to see if it helps with the problems

I have a Morso 2B Standard. How hot are you getting stove? I have stove top thermometer (Condar) and take it to 700 F range, and let it peak in that range. The secondary burn functions well at hotter temps. This stove does not have an ash pan. Your setup probably is causing some draft issues, too. I also use primarily Bio Bricks which I think optimize this stoves performance.