Mosquitoes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

marty319

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2014
Belair mb
Winter and spring like no other and now cannot go out unless you have a bath in deet.i have a propane fogger but can't buy the juice for it anymore here.ticks are bad as well.hows things in your area?

Tonty

Jul 24, 2017
Kansas
Mosquitos are fairly bad here. Not like what they were once when we were up by Swan River MB. I spray my lawn with a sprayer and Bifen XTS sometime. That helps quite a bit. I don’t know if you can get that up there, though.

Reactions: marty319

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I recently tried Picaridin as an alternative to DEET. It seems to work as well with less chemical odor and it does not damage plastic (although the 3M Ultrathon DEET product I use is far less agressive on plastic). The one tradeoff is avoid applying it anywhere near the eyes as if it gets in there it takes 24 hours for them to stop burning.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
The most pesky bug we get is the fruitfly when we have lots of harvested fruit in the house. There are no mosquitoes, no see-ums, black flies, etc.

marty319

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2014
Belair mb
I love where we live. No mosquitoes, no see-ums, black flies, etc. The most pesky bug we get is the fruitfly when we have lots of harvested fruit in the house.
Lol I wish I had only fruitflys,a bowl full of aple cider vinegar and problem solved

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Lol I wish I had only fruitflys,a bowl full of aple cider vinegar and problem solved
Yes, I have fruit fly traps that get most of them. At times I have 6 or 7 of them set out along with a couple yellow sticky cards.

JRHAWK9

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2014
Wisconsin Dells, WI
I spray my lawn with a sprayer and Bifen XTS sometime. That helps quite a bit.

Just did that this morning. I use Talstar P though, which is the same as Bifen I/T. May try Bifen XTS next, as it's oil based. Ran 20 gallons of solution through my backpack mister all around outside. I do it every summer, 2 or three times. This was the first time this summer though. I normally try to get out there soon after the trees leaf out. I need some foliage so when I mist 20' up it has something to settle on.

EatenByLimestone

Minister of Fire
We use cedar oil to treat for ticks and mosquitos. It works as well as pyrethroid products and is much safer. We apply it with a Stihl SR 200. This will work for lawns too.

Reactions: begreen

mcdougy

Minister of Fire
Apr 15, 2014
ontario
Mosquitoes are just starting to show up here, nothing significant yet. I was on a jobsite (a local church) and the ticks were everywhere. They seemed to be drawn to the lumber? Crawling all over it. They all appeared to be female dog ticks, the deer tick isn't as common here luckily.

EatenByLimestone

Minister of Fire
Ticks climb vegetation that hangs over trails so they can easily get onto animals passing by. My guess is the lumber was stacked higher than the surrounding grass, etc.

Reactions: PaulOinMA

mcdougy

Minister of Fire
Apr 15, 2014
ontario
Ticks climb vegetation that hangs over trails so they can easily get onto animals passing by. My guess is the lumber was stacked higher than the surrounding grass, etc.
It was a combination of variants was my guess. I had never encountered such a mass of ticks so quickly......the cement pad had been poured a week ahead of me showing up, the sand fill around the pad had been dumped only a few days prior to my first work day. As soon as I started laying the 2x4 plates on the pad the ticks started showing up. Within a hour I would estimate there was at least 25 ticks on the small amount of lumber I had laid down for the plates to do the stud layout. I had never encountered such a large amount of ticks. My assumption was that they had been drawn to the freshly placed sand from the long grass nearby, then became more active with me walking around....? I was surprised by the amount, a helper that was on scene was completely freaked out..... As the project proceeded the number of ticks present seemed to dwindle. Some ticks did manage to climb to the top (8') of the wood siding, where they too met the smooth end of a estwing... :) 20220615_160043.jpg 20220615_155921.jpg 20220615_160114.jpg

EatenByLimestone

Minister of Fire
Sandy areas tend to have more ticks, termites too. Im not sure why ticks prefer the sandy places.