Mosquitoes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Update. We have been spaying since late august about every 3 weeks or so. Chose stop the bite and mosquito sniper attached to my ego battery blower.

The effectiveness is AMAZING. Wish we did this years ago!!! Mix at 8 oz a gallon and one gallon does the whole backyard and 1/2 the front. Guessing we are covering 20000 sq ft maybe closer to 15.

Highly recommended. Takes 15 minutes tops.

View attachment 301308
I wonder what the 80% inert ingredients are. The active ingredients sound like the stuff in my non-toxic mosquito repellant, so I will give it a try come next mud season.

I wonder what the 80% inert ingredients are. The active ingredients sound like the stuff in my non-toxic mosquito repellant, so I will give it a try come next mud season.
Water….. if we get a good windy day it blows them back into the yard but I’m impressed.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Strong scented herbs are recommended.

Reactions: Prometeo

It may not be the most efficient, but its probably the most satisfying.

• Love
A lot of dragonflies help reduce mosquitos. If you keep honeybees they will eat some bees.

"Dragonflies, particularly in their larval stage, are crucial in mosquito control. The larvae, known as nymphs, reside in water bodies and voraciously feed on mosquito larvae and other small aquatic insects. They are highly efficient predators, devouring significant numbers of mosquito larvae as they develop. Once they reach adulthood, dragonflies continue to contribute to mosquito control by feeding on adult mosquitoes."

Ways To Attract Dragonflies To Your Property

Attracting dragonflies to your property can be achieved by creating an inviting habitat. Here are some tips to make your property dragonfly-friendly:

1. Provide water sources: Dragonflies require water for breeding and the larval stage. Install a pond, birdbath, or even water-filled containers to attract dragonflies.
  2. Add aquatic plants: Dragonflies prefer laying their eggs on aquatic plants. Include a variety of submerged and emergent plants in your water features to provide suitable egg-laying sites.
  3. Avoid chemical pesticides: Dragonflies are sensitive to chemical pollutants. Minimize or eliminate pesticides in your yard to maintain a healthy environment for these beneficial insects.
  4. Include perching spots: Dragonflies need perches to rest and survey their surroundings. Place tall, thin objects like sticks or poles near water bodies as perching spots.
  5. Create diverse habitats: Incorporate a mix of open spaces, vegetation, and water features to provide a range of habitats that can attract different dragonfly species.

Thank you all. Yes, I saw some dragonflies! My perplexity, creating environments for them even mosquitoes benefit from it. I thought of putting a piece of copper in the wells where a few centimeters of water always stagnate, it should stop any proliferation, even if I am left wondering if one day I will decide to collect these rainwaters for a vegetable garden, and if this copper can be harmful, but shouldn't it?