Mosquitoes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well the cheap eBay blower/ mister arrived cracked and with no straps. Your get what you pay for. I don’t need another project. It’s going back.

24FC4297-A10B-4A86-9C10-B7DB0A3D5EFC.jpeg

We started off with a cheap blower. It can't remember the brand. It could also spread granules which seemed really cool at the time. I think it was around $250. It worked and proved the concept. Never spread granules with it. One day the cap blew off while driving down the road..
Now we have 3 of the Sthils and the Z Spray.

When you spray/ fog Bifen make sure to stay away from any plant with flowers on it. Like begreen said its a non selective killer, so if you spray it on flowers you'll kill the bees too, and that's the last thing you want to do

I've been using Bifen for a couple years now and it works great. I just have the 2 gallon pump sprayer and am looking to get a fogger. I'm surrounded on 3 sides by woods and there is a swamp not too far back. They are starting to get bad again. It is almost time for another spray.

I've been using Bifen for a couple years now and it works great. I just have the 2 gallon pump sprayer and am looking to get a fogger. I'm surrounded on 3 sides by woods and there is a swamp not too far back. They are starting to get bad again. It is almost time for another spray.
Do you have a blower or even better a backpack blower? If so, look at getting a mosquito sniper. I use it with a backpack blower and it works awesome

Do you have a blower or even better a backpack blower? If so, look at getting a mosquito sniper. I use it with a backpack blower and it works awesome
I do have a backpack blower. I took a look at it after you posted about it. I might have to buy one to give it a try. There really isn't a need to buy a $500 Stihl fogger if this does even close to the same thing.

Has anyone tried a bunch of water filled buckets placed around the property with a mosquito dunk in each one? Acts as a breeding ground trap.

Reactions: semipro
I do have a backpack blower. I took a look at it after you posted about it. I might have to buy one to give it a try. There really isn't a need to buy a $500 Stihl fogger if this does even close to the same thing.
I bought it with the same mindset, and buying a real fogger hasn't crossed my mind since. It really works great, and I'd say it works way better than the smaller stihl foggers. Their smaller ones have a 27cc engine, where my backpack blower is a 49cc. This gives you way more power to blow up trees and blow deep in the shrubs.

There is the 'inconvenience' of having to carry the handheld sprayer, but it's a lot less weight on your back. Imagine your backpack blower and 18lbs of water, that'll get old quick.

You do have to get the right handheld sprayer though, they tell you which ones you can use. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm about to go outside and fog my yard, lol

The Sr200 states it’ll carry 2.1 gallons of water, but it’s a lot closer to 3.

I wish it had a bigger tank. It’s not the size of the motor that’s the limiting factor, it’s the water tank. The next size up has a larger motor and larger tank. I don’t want to hoof the larger motor around, lol. At least with the tank, it drains on you, it gets lighter throughout the job!

I do wish it had hip straps. It’d be nice to rest some of that weight on the hips. I understand that you can buy them, but I’ve only had to wear it for an hour at a time. Not too bad.

On a positive note, lots of bugs are a healthy protein supply for birds.
It does seem like since we've been feeding the wild birds we see a lot fewer flying bugs.

How are the mice and chipmunks?
Everywhere you look there is a chipmunk at my place. My dogs love to chase them and occasionally they get a kill. The mice seem to be much more under control. I probably get 1-2 a week in the pool skimmer. I think that it also helps that we have a health population of garter snakes in the back yard. I think they keep the mouse population in control.

It does seem like since we've been feeding the wild birds we see a lot fewer flying bugs.
Yes, birds and bats consume a lot of bugs. Swallows are particularly good. Put up some bird and bat houses.

That is the problem with nuking the yard and surroundings with chemicals, no doubt it is impacting the food chain. Lots of studies out there showing that the insect population is dropping precipitously and that is translating to less birds.

Yes, I get concerned when driving through lush landscapes and there are no bug splatters on the car. This is happening with a lot greater frequency.

Racheal Carson called it the Silent Spring, she was against environmentally persistent chemicals like DDT but no doubt overuse of pesticides to overcontrol insects is still going on. Talk to any beekeeper, colony collapse disorder is happening all over and many believe that the colonies are just weakened by a variety of things like nicotine based pesticides so they cant fight off the mites and other parasites.

I don’t have much for mosquitoes in my yard, but I get a lot of birds and I’ve got an absolute ton of spiders, big ones. I hear they eat mosquitoes, so I don’t spray the property. I just spray the house really good with ortho home defense to keep them out.

Send the no name eBay back pack blower back. Mosquito ninja on the way for my Ego battery blower. Might get another battery for it. Or a chainsaw and battery combo. If I do that it’s probably going to lead to an EGO battery mower.

That is the problem with nuking the yard and surroundings with chemicals, no doubt it is impacting the food chain. Lots of studies out there showing that the insect population is dropping precipitously and that is translating to less birds.
Our garden and fruit trees do not seem to produce nearly as well as they have in the past.
I've looked into this and there's compelling evidence that it may be because of a shortage of pollinators - blooms whither on the vine rather than growing into fruit.
Even though my wife is highly allergic to insect stings we don't use pesticides.
Gotta keep the big picture in mind.

Our garden and fruit trees do not seem to produce nearly as well as they have in the past.
I've looked into this and there's compelling evidence that it may be because of a shortage of pollinators - blooms whither on the vine rather than growing into fruit.
Even though my wife is highly allergic to insect stings we don't use pesticides.
Gotta keep the big picture in mind.
We got poor pollination this spring due to the cold, wet weather. Have you tried mason bees? They don't sting and are out earlier than honeybees.

Have you tried mason bees? They don't sting and are out earlier than honeybees.
Funny - my wife and I were just discussing Mason bees today. We intend to try some out.

Has anyone tried a bunch of water filled buckets placed around the property with a mosquito dunk in each one? Acts as a breeding ground trap.
I have been considering doing something like this, but with a few hundred gallons of water, some plants, and mosquitofish. I'm just not sure if it will work here because many of the native mosquito species live in mud/very small vernal pools and may not be attracted to larger bodies of water. There are a few buckets/wheelbarrows laying around that do accumulate some rainwater, but never have any larvae in them.

Update. We have been spaying since late august about every 3 weeks or so. Chose stop the bite and mosquito sniper attached to my ego battery blower.

The effectiveness is AMAZING. Wish we did this years ago!!! Mix at 8 oz a gallon and one gallon does the whole backyard and 1/2 the front. Guessing we are covering 20000 sq ft maybe closer to 15.

Highly recommended. Takes 15 minutes tops.

28D8FAC7-76EA-4BA5-B959-348C6C44E0A7.jpeg