most efficient fireplace gas inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stevebg4

Oct 4, 2021
NJ
Hi All,

I am planning to convert from wood to natural gas our old fireplace like most of you in this forum. I have checked many different mfgs and models.
I am located in NJ and went to several hearth dealers and we do like the Mendota FV44i gas insert and we do know that its more $$ compared to other mfg brands but its efficiency is at 77% which is one of the best and great turn down.
I did get a quote for a Mendota FV44i gas insert with Prem. Logs, Red Brick Lining, Wide Grace Front Black, Custom 4 Sided Surround is about $5400
The install labor for gas and electric which includes (Gas Insert Liner Kit, Gas Line Install (up to 10 Feet, Parts and Labor for Required Electrical work,
Hardwire Unit and Bond Gas Line), is about $3600

Total estimate = 9k
Is the Mendota FV44i gas insert unit only price high or fair ?
Is the labor price for gas and electric high or fair ?

Can anyone recommend other similar mfg models ?

How are Heat N Glo or Napoleon regarding efficiency, turndown, quality compared to Mendota ?

thanks

Hi All,

I am planning to convert from wood to natural gas our old fireplace like most of you in this forum. I have checked many different mfgs and models.
I am located in NJ and went to several hearth dealers and we do like the Mendota FV44i gas insert and we do know that its more $$ compared to other mfg brands but its efficiency is at 77% which is one of the best and great turn down.
I did get a quote for a Mendota FV44i gas insert with Prem. Logs, Red Brick Lining, Wide Grace Front Black, Custom 4 Sided Surround is about $5400
The install labor for gas and electric which includes (Gas Insert Liner Kit, Gas Line Install (up to 10 Feet, Parts and Labor for Required Electrical work,
Hardwire Unit and Bond Gas Line), is about $3600

Total estimate = 9k
Is the Mendota FV44i gas insert unit only price high or fair ?
Is the labor price for gas and electric high or fair ?

Can anyone recommend other similar mfg models ?

How are Heat N Glo or Napoleon regarding efficiency, turndown, quality compared to Mendota ?

thanks
The labor seems high, especially if one company is doing everything. When I price labor for an insert install, it is usually no more than $800.00 for the installation of the vent kit and set up of the insert (including gas conversion if necessary).
We don't do any supply piping of gas or running the electrical.