Most flexible stove design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MSG My first stove in this home was a Belgium made Efel. It still is in operation. I gave it to a person that really could use auxiliary heat. It started with my wife questioning the safety of a 25 year old stove. Then escalated into, how can you be an inspector,, expounding the merits of the cleaner EPA stoves, when your is not? I lined up a good used stove and my wife told me she did not want someone junk. She questioned my ability to distinguish good from junk and advised me not to cheap out.

Ok I had the green light as long as it looked attractive. Why try to win the argument. But I had to issue one parting shot, Jees
I get paid to inspect stoves don't I

MSG I argee that the stoves you mention are real quality stoves. Yes Jotul North American assembly opperations is in Portland Me
and yes they employ Americans

Well, I spoke with my friend today. She is considering getting rid of the Encore Cat. It's 3 yrs old and barely used. So this may be the stove we end up with. So far the Oslo, Isle Royale, or Oakwood were my first choices. they had ease of use and total wife approval. But fate may be returning me to VC. No problem with looks, nice stove, though we've never had a cat and I do have the concerns mentioned previously. We'll see, stay tuned.

MSG, I didn't hear back from you on the F600. There's one on eBay right now that I was looking at. Too big a stove?

WA viewer alert, there may be a Jotul F3CB for sale soon. PM me if interested.

I missed that post! sorry begreen. As far as draft performance, the oslo is one of the best drafting stoves jotul makes, more so then the 3cb, it burns clean on a low burn with a mature firebox, ie alot of coals and 2nd stage combustion wood. Typical burn time of the oslo is 5-7 hours on pine. At least that has been my experence with the burn display. The f600 is huge, probably overkill. But the good news is you dont have to fill it up. 5lbs of wood is 5lbs of wood, no matter what stove you put it in.

elkimmeg said:

Yah, but no shipping. The eBay F600 is new and will ship.

MountainStoveGuy said:
I missed that post! sorry begreen. As far as draft performance, the oslo is one of the best drafting stoves jotul makes, more so then the 3cb, it burns clean on a low burn with a mature firebox, ie alot of coals and 2nd stage combustion wood. Typical burn time of the oslo is 5-7 hours on pine. At least that has been my experence with the burn display. The f600 is huge, probably overkill. But the good news is you dont have to fill it up. 5lbs of wood is 5lbs of wood, no matter what stove you put it in.

OK, this is going to be a tough choice.

PS: the new baby is a charmer. I suppose the flames will come later :).

I put the link out as an index This could turn out to be one of the best deal of the year. I knew there was no shipping.
I also realised that at some point a fair price would have to be determined if you buy your friends. The market, ebay, just determined it. And Red usually comands more money.
I know Dylan has been looking I e-mailed him this link to the auction. Being in CT, the pickup would not to too bad.
After his weird xx post he has dissapeared

too early to tell on the F 600 4 more days to go

MountainStoveGuy said:
Elk, if you dont engage the cat, then what? Isnt all its efficiency and pollution based on the cat being engaged? The harmon link is a nice looking stove. Here is another top load non cat that looks nice too. Isle Royal

I did not use the cat on my Woodstock burning during the day last year, when I was home all day. I was burning junk loblolly pine and found that the ash from the bark would cover the cat pretty fast.

So, burnt the junk during the day, loaded red oak in the evening, then engaged the cat.

Burning properly with pine and disengaged cat, the stove produced lots of heat and no smoke, but the fires did not last too long. Which was fine, because I was trying to get rid of the pine!

BeGreen said:
elkimmeg said:

Yah, but no shipping. The eBay F600 is new and will ship.

MountainStoveGuy said:

OK, this is going to be a tough choice.

PS: the new baby is a charmer. I suppose the flames will come later :).

Sorry for putting the "poop in the punch bowl", but I have
owned both the 3CB & the Oslo, I have been disappointed
on both. The 3CB has a small "usable" firebox area, not friendly
to cord-sized wood. You'll be lucky if you get more than 4 hrs.
of burn time on even the hardest of wood. The Oslo wasn't much
better - short burn times, but at least more heat. Probably the
greatest disappointment was how badly the Oslo gunked-up our
chimney - not clean burns. Also very fussy to get to burn
"cleanly". Thought it was my flue setup, but purchasing a
different stove, made of steel, proved that wrong. IMHOP,
you need a really strong drafting flue w/ the largest Jotuls,
or you'll probably be disappointed.
My 2 cents worth....

Rob

That's a valid concern Rob. From the other threads it sounds like this can be an issue with the Encore as well. I've had no issues with the 3CB and draft. Actually had to install a draft damper to regulate it better. Not disappointed in the stove, but then we didn't expect longer than 3-4 hr. burns. For us, going to 18" wood was a nice improvement as most is cut to 16".

The larger stove will be a new install. I've decided to have an interior stack, straight up from the stove. I think it should draw pretty well. How often did you clean out ash in the Oslo? From the reviews it sounds like the best results for burn time are with leaving the ashpan at least 3/4 full if not completely full.

BeGreen said:
That's a valid concern Rob. From the other threads it sounds like this can be an issue with the Encore as well. I've had no issues with the 3CB and draft. Actually had to install a draft damper to regulate it better. Not disappointed in the stove, but then we didn't expect longer than 3-4 hr. burns. For us, going to 18" wood was a nice improvement as most is cut to 16".

The larger stove will be a new install. I've decided to have an interior stack, straight up from the stove. I think it should draw pretty well. How often did you clean out ash in the Oslo? From the reviews it sounds like the best results for burn time are with leaving the ashpan at least 3/4 full if not completely full.

I didn't like the ashpan design at all - lots of good coaling action was
dropped down the grate into the pan, making burning times even
shorter. I end-up laying a piece of sheet metal across the grate openings,
and scooped-out a bit of ashes when needed. Worked a lot better that way
than waiting a couple of days until it was full & would often times spill on the
floor as you removed the tray.

Rob

I checked out the Jotul F600 listing on Ebay. I see he ended his first auction of one F600. The second one I checked out the shipping estimate, it was $350 To my address in MA. I know Jotul's policy about internet sales. Just wondering how they are getting away with listing new stoves on Ebay? the seller has a good feedback rating. They must be a clearing house opperation, judging from their vollume.

When going threw my VC Encore, I found two air leaks. After I removed the cast iron plates to examine the Cat. I noticed two voids in the cast joint on the lower left and right back. Using compressed air and small wire brush I cleanned the areas and re caulk them with refactory cement. I do not know if this is a common flaw but if you do buy the Encore we can compare notes to tweak it so that it runs better, For now it sits in my garage as I do the spring thing around the home. Plenty of time to get it ready. I have already cleanned it out with conpressed air. I am planning to redo both doors gaskets , including re gasketing the glass inserts. I will examine it again to make sure all is right with it before the install. I also plan on replacing the griddle gaskest. Recomended replacement cycle every 4 years. In real life use they may last longer. I have the gasketing here so I might as well replace them.

I am willing to bet, most that have problems opperating their stoves, blame the stove for poor draft or v poor venting conditions.
Yesterday we had a post where the guy can see the bricks, where a section of his clay liner is missing. He then questions the stove?

The Ebay Encore sold for $850 2/3 monts from now, that will top $1000. Actually $850 was probably a good price

Status
Not open for further replies.