Mouse nest smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tailboardtech

Nov 20, 2021
USA
Hi, first time poster here used to be on iburncorn back in the day. But anyway I have a quadrafire 1200i that I got from a neighbor little did we know since it was sitting in his garage a mouse built a nest in the heat exchanger. I had the thing after cleaning it out running outside for almost 2 days straight to burn off whatever was left. I still have to odor after running it in the house unfortunately. Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the smell?

Look above the firebox behind the grillework for random turds and urine stains. If the are there it may take scrubbing that area. If it's clean, remove the convection blower and check for the same inside of it as well as underneath and around it.

Turn the stove up on high, open the doors and windows and burn it out. It’s probably going to take a while

Reactions: johneh
We had a horrible cat pee stench in our gas logs fireplace left by the previous owners. We used bioklean enzyme pet urine odor spray and urine destroyer carpet cleaner by a different company (red bottle) that pretty much every store has--Rural King, Walmart, Lowe's, etc. Used the sprays on the outside, wiped off next day with Dawn dish soap and water. On the inside, we sprayed out the dust with canned air. Then I took a can or two of 1200 degree stove paint, the spray kind in that brownish black color and spray painted the outside and some of the other parts. THAT seemed to finish off the last of the smell. I know you can't paint all of the inside parts in your situation, but you could do certain areas perhaps.

Also, one time we had a mouse make a nest in our kitchen oven. I dripped peppermint essential oil into it in various places in an effort to evict the mouse and make it less enticing a spot to live, and stuffed steel wool drenched in peppermint oil in all the back holes/openings to close off entry points. That approach did not evict the mouse. It was up in the control board, and we killed it in a trap but it did go a long way to make the stove smell better when turned it on to cook food. And the stench did not stay after that, so I think it did help break the urine down or burn it off better. Good luck!

I’d clean the best I could and then tent the stove or put it in a small room with a high output ozone generator for an hour or so. That would break down any bacteria and viruses as well smells.