Moving Air - Anything with Batteries?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sr73087

Dec 20, 2016
SW CT
So I have a colonial that is not a very open floor plan. Therefore I plan on adding a few fans to help atleast move the air on the first floor. The room with the fireplace has two doors on either side of the room directly across from where the stove will be. I planned on using the doorway fans (link below) in combination with the heat powered ones on the stove to start off. My question is, do any of these utilize a non-120V power source? Ideally a rechargeable 18650 or something similar? Its not a deal breaker, but would look alittle cleaner and I already have some flashlights that run those batteries.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EntreeAir-5-25-in-1-Speed-Fan/3089843

i actually find it more effective to blow cold air towards the stove, not trying to suck hot air away from it.

cold air is denser than warm air, so when you suck cold air out of your room, it has to be replaced by something... which just happens to be the warm air from the stove.

although not up high, i use this fan:

https://www.o2-cool.com/FD05010A?page_id=841

its great because you have options. Either 4 D-Cell batteries or you can buy an adapter to plug in

Reactions: Knots
Like said above, if the fan is on the floor blow it towards the stove, the heat is going to be near the ceiling. So the fan on the floor blowing towards the stove increase the natural flow and will work a lot better.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Also interested in this topic. I have a ranch that I want to get air to the back bedrooms. Jotel me this, that little fan pushes enough? I'd say my back rooms are 30-35 ft from the stove.

You just need something to help aid and/or jump start the convection loop, so a small floor fan is really all that's needed. The fan will help push that cool air and the stove will suck it up either as combustion air or to convect around it. Don't think you'll find a similar fan like the Entree, but there are plenty of small fans that are powered by 18650 that you can place on the floor.

Blowing the cold air towards the stove works better because it's more dense (slightly, like 1%) but more importantly, it's more stable which makes it's easier to move. The hot air above is like a wild party - it's going everywhere and anywhere it wants to as it's temperature is changing significantly relative to the cool air below - so it's harder to move. As it cools towards room temperature, it becomes more stable like the cooler air along the floor.

So would a ceiling fan in that room be helpful or hurt things?

Also, does fan speed matter? I would think you would want something moving slower if you are moving hot air but faster if you are blowing cold air at the stove? Is this correct?

Also interested in this topic. I have a ranch that I want to get air to the back bedrooms. Jotel me this, that little fan pushes enough? I'd say my back rooms are 30-35 ft from the stove.

Has someone ever opened a door all the way on one end of your house and instantaneously the curtains or shower curtain 'suck in' at the complete opposite side? people tend to have a misunderstanding of air because you cant see it. on earth, we are not in a vacuum which means when you displace air in any area, it MUST instantly be replaced by more air.

the little fan is enough for me and my back rooms are at least 40 feet away. you wont feel heat instantly.. its not a miracle.. but works best when you keep your stove continuously burning.

cold air is more dense. its like throwing an ice cube into snow. the snow gets out of the way. throw snow at an ice cube. it aint gonna move.

when you blow cold air towards the stove, it shoves warm air towards where the cold air left.

cold air is more dense. its like throwing an ice cube into snow. the snow gets out of the way. throw snow at an ice cube. it aint gonna move.

That's more like taking a huge rock and dropping it on a small rock to break it.

The cooler air along the floor has a smoother flow than the hot air above that moves in more directions with higher velocities (aka it's more turbulent). Thus, it's easier to direct the cool air with a fan to where we want it and let the larger convection loop suck the hot air to where we want it. Density helps, but if the cool air was as turbulent as the hot air, we'd have a harder time moving that, too.

Reactions: Knots
That's more like taking a huge rock and dropping it on a small rock to break it.

The cooler air along the floor has a smoother flow than the hot air above that moves in more directions with higher velocities (aka it's more turbulent). Thus, it's easier to direct the cool air with a fan to where we want it and let the larger convection loop suck the hot air to where we want it. Density helps, but if the cool air was as turbulent as the hot air, we'd have a harder time moving that, too.

simply put... blow the fan towards the stove