MS 261

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
I am looking at an MS 261 used. Asking 360. Trying to find out year. Ad states it has compression release for starting. Otherwise looks very clean. Please let me know what else I should look for on this saw. Thank you!

Last edited:
Look for obvious wear and tear. I’ve heard of guys asking to take off the muffler to inspect the cylinder and piston for scoring inspect the chain. You can get a good idea of someone’s cutting habits by the condition of the chain.

Reactions: JimBear
Yes take off the muffler and look at the piston.
If they have an issue with removing the muffler set the saw down and say thanks for your time and walk away.
If you buy a saw with a scored piston and you don't fix your own stuff a shop will charge as much as the saw to fix it.

Reactions: JimBear
It is my understanding that there are 2 versions of the 261; early models & a newer version. The newer ones have captive bar nuts amongst other things. Definitely pull the muffler to eyeball the piston. Sometimes adjustable carbed versions sell for a bit more than M-tronics, just depends on the market. There are upgrades on the fuel filter & modules for older saws.

I am looking at an MS 261 used. Asking 360. Trying to find out year. Ad states it has compression release for starting. Otherwise looks very clean. Please let me know what else I should look for on this saw. Thank you!
Update???

Unfortunately the guy isn't responding to my inquires!!
10BED6B7-AFE8-490B-86E2-3C50A52A6FE6.jpeg

Maybe it’s for the best, who knows.

I see the one you're looking at, at least I assume it's the same one. It does look clean. the 261 is a nice firewood saw, I bought the 261C two winters ago and love it. Only difference between mine and this one is the C refers to computer controlled carb.

I see the one you're looking at, at least I assume it's the same one. It does look clean. the 261 is a nice firewood saw, I bought the 261C two winters ago and love it. Only difference between mine and this one is the C refers to computer controlled carb.
I'm being a little nitpicky, but the C refers to "comfort" features, and M stands for mtronic.

I'm being a little nitpicky, but the C refers to "comfort" features, and M stands for mtronic.

You are right. What I technically should have said was the main difference between the two is the computer controlled carb. C does mean comfort but is there other comfort features on this vs the regular 261?

I think all new MS261's are CM. I don't think you can get one without either C or M. 2017-2018 you probably could've gotten just C, no mtronic.

I think all new MS261's are CM. I don't think you can get one without either C or M. 2017-2018 you probably could've gotten just C, no mtronic.

What I'm saying is the MS 261C = MS 261 CM. If the saw is labeled "MS 261 C" like mine is, it has the computer controlled carb.

In other words, if it has a C on the recoil cover, it's an Mtronic saw. They don't make this very easy to follow quite honestly.

Last edited:
Yep that's the one!!

Reaching out again!!! We will see if I can get more information.

It's amazing how often people who try and sell things just won't even respond to a message or email.

Reaching out again!!! We will see if I can get more information.
For what it is worth I found a 261 on craigslist for $225 or $250 - I forget. Guy was moving and would no longer be burning would so everything was included: chaps, helmet, tools, fuel can, bar oil, extra chain and I imagine I am forgetting some stuff. Finding good deals on Stihl is tough, I have found that it takes patience and commit instantly once you see the deal that you want. Other times if I see what I want but the price is not what I want to pay I just keep an eye on it - usually it sells but other times it hangs out there and you can slide in an offer once people are tired of dealing with "Craigslist Buyers". Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Reactions: baseroom