MS 290 'nuf saw for few cords/year of 20" locust/oak ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can I find spec sheet on the 034, 034 Super, 036/Pro. Can't find them on the STIHL site.

20" wood all the time, the MS290 would be only a budget contingency option for me. It is roughly equal to the 455 Rancher in power but I would expect far longer life from that engine however. ;)

I'd be looking at a used 034, 034 Super, 036/Pro, MS360, MS361 if you were really in a hurry and on a budget.

For new saws, the 391 isn't overkill for 2-3 cords a year. Should run the hell outta a 20" bar in any hardwood too. It's going to be a whole 'nother world compared to that 455R too. ::-)

If you think you'd be cutting more than 2-3 cord in the future, as I see you have a couple stoves to feed, I'd just slide on up to the MS362 (a pro saw) and not worry about the saw for 20+ years. Saw loses over a lb in weight and picks up .2 hp over the 391 as well. I know it's a big chunk to bite off, especialy if you were looking at the $400 category, (DSRP on the MS362 20" is roughly $700) but nobody has ever regretted buying a professional grade saw for the kind of wood cutting a lot of us do around here.

'cept that is a 371 there... ;)

I know, the 371 is more or less the same as a first model 372, which I ran a few years ago. But it is confusing in the Husky line, as there are 3 different 372xp model saws out there with completely different engines in them. I had a 372xpW which was the best of the lot IMO, pre-smog and larger engine than the first 372, which was really just a warmed over 371, and not the later model X-torque EPA smogged model that is available now (or soon to be available, I am not sure, as I sold all my Husky saws and I do not keep up with them any more). Why they did not call the larger engine 372 a 373 is beyond me, or the X-torque a 374. That's Husky for you though. That 371 saw here would be about $4-500 here easy, no cheap Huskys in the PNW to be had, no sir ree Bob.

Right you are..... but a 372 top end.

Maybe we could start a little business.....powerhead shipped to the pnw is only about $30 :) Huskys sell for cheap around here, everyone is a well.... a stihlhead hahahaha ;lol

Well, there may well be a business opportunity between there and here. I bought a 372xpw new becasue the used ones here were all pertty well beaten up and they were all over $500 as I recall. So was a 371 I looked at as well. Early model 372 has the same top end as the 371 as I recall. My 372xpw had the larger engine, non-smogged. I got it on a good deal, but later sold it with my 395 to a pair of loggers in WA state. They also bought a modified Stihl 310 and 361 from me as well. I got good prices, but they were all in clean condition. They were amazed how clean they were, but all I did was wipe them down with terps to get the sap off of them.

The S-440 was the fallers choice here for many years. When Stihl stopped selling the 440s some years ago, many PNW fallers opted for the S-460, but a lot flipped to the H-372. The 440 is back again and have been selling well, but they are going to be discontinued along with the 460 pretty soon. Most fallers here do not like the 441 (Some do, but most do not). The 461 is getting good reviews, but it is the same weight and power as the 460. The H-372 has definately broken into the fallers market here, and they fetch a high price.

There is a S-034 super here on CL for $275. Seems like a beater though. S-036/360s here go for more than 361s, for like $450-500. 034 super is an early model 036, but has a smaller muffler and slightly different cases/top end.

Status
Not open for further replies.