MS660 Rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jul 23, 2019
Woodlawn, TN
I’ve been given a MS660 that is seized up. As I was cleaning it up, I found chunks of metal in the exhaust. I’m assuming I need to replace the cylinder and head. Any suggestions as to a good source for parts. (Non-Chinese)

Post some pictures of your cylinder inside...
Most of the time if your cylinder has transfer on it it can be cleaned with fine sandpaper and polished after with the red or green scothbright pads
OEM is the way to go,find a used cylinder if you don't want to invest in a new one.
Metior makes the best aftermarket pistons,and Caber the best rings.There are no aftermarket cylinders that meet the quality,or timing numbers of OEM.

Also it depends how it locked up. Abruptly or slow down then seized. If they do it abruptly, there is a chance it could have bent the crank

You will need to find someone to vac test the crank seals also. Also check carb boot for leaks. If a air leak caused the seize up you don't want to repeat that.

Reactions: salecker
I do pressure and vac test on any saw i am working on before disassembly,then i know what parts it will need.
If i get one that has been disassembled i will sometimes reassemble to do the test.
Plus it will get tested when it's back to getther