Mt. Vernon AE flame height question/discussion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John97

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2011
Spring Hill, FL
The installer set the flame height to +3 when the unit was installed. I have kept it on that setting until a few days ago when I bumped it to 4 thinking it would give me more heat. It did not. All it seemed to do was burn more pellets.

So tonight I set it back, but instead of setting it to +3 I decided to see how +2 would work. Surprisingly, it seems to "burn better" for lack of another choice of words.

The flame looks "nicer" and more lively.

So, I'd like to hear thoughts/opinions/experiences in regards to the flame height setting, why and when people change it, etc.

Thanks in advance.

This is right out of the manual.

A properly adjusted fire with the heat output on HIGH
has an active flame pattern that extends out of the firepot
approximately 8 inches (203mm).
If the fire has tall flames with black tails and seems somewhat
lazy, the flame height will need to be reduced. If
the fire is not 8 inches (203mm) tall, the flame height will
need to be increased. A medium or low setting will give
a shorter flame.
The flame will rise and fall somewhat. This is normal.
With your appliance in Manual mode and the heat output
level set to HIGH adjust the flame height using the
FLAME HEIGHT ADJUST screen on the thermostat wall
control.

Most of the time I run -4 to -5 on flame height.

Have you tried sunflower setting?

For some reason I get more heat out of that setting than any other settings I have tried!

Yeah, I read that in the manual. But I did a search here and found different things... Some change it based on pellet brand, etc. I am going to set it tonight as per the manual.

But, since so much real-world experience differs from manuals and dealer opinions, I figured I'd get some additional info from the fine folks here.

JoeS said:

For some reason I get more heat out of that setting than any other settings I have tried!

Hows the pellet consumption using sunflower????

I have mine maxed out. I like fire. It dirties the glass a little more but oh well.

Eric

smoke show said:
JoeS said:

Hows the pellet consumption using sunflower????

I'll have to experiment to see. The extra heat however is noticeable.

I played around today with the flame height setting and it appears that +2 is my ideal setting. Anything below that and the flames barely peek out above the top of the pot. Anything higher and the flame seems to start getting lazy.

It probably will. But I got like 120+ bags of my current pellets to burn through first. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.