Mt. Vernon AE Ignition issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Classic case of "magic smoke loss". I would make sure of the correct fuse before powering it back up after repair.

I’d draw the same conclusion-obviously the fuse is supposed to let go before the circuit does-that’s it’s whole job after all. But I can assure you that I use the correct 15A fuses.
I can’t explain why this gave way. I was blowing fuses a lot a year or so ago, so maybe this connection got weakened over time? Not for nothing, but that copper strip is (was) pretty thin. I could see it giving way after a while. I may have damaged it over the last 8 years of taking the thing out/putting it in... who knows?
Either way, we’re back up and running! Flattened a piece of wire out of 20A Romex and soldered it in.

Attachments

• 22BF0C46-B4D8-43BB-9190-4F24045C5D37.jpeg
    22BF0C46-B4D8-43BB-9190-4F24045C5D37.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 84
Copper on standard pcb’s are 1oz. 1.37 mills

Nice find. Glad you were able to fix it. kap

Reactions: Paul C.
Nice find. Glad you were able to fix it. kap
So-quick update in case anyone uses this thread in the future to help diagnose their similar problem: the repaired control board would work for a couple cycles, but we would always have repeat problems (blown fuse, blown igniter, and sometime a tripped breaker in the house). So, there had to be something in the board that would malfunction and leave the circuit open. I went through a few more igniters and fuses before I finally gave up and just replaced the board. I also had to replace both thermocouples, since the old ones had the wrong connectors on them. New setup is about a week old, and has gone through several startups and shutdowns and seems to be okay. Hope this helps someone down the line!