Mt Vernon are auger jam.....again, and again...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brickhugger

Dec 18, 2020
St louis
You know this issue, so let me just tell you what I’ve done to try and fix this, to no avail:

• Replaced vacuum switch (helped a lot initially)
  • Replaced auger motor and optical sensor (ps; removing a stripped screw from the motor plate is no fun)
  • Cleaned out exhaust blower (yes I know; should’ve been doing that all along; didn’t realize it until reading the repair manual)
  • Replaced and regularly clean the plate in thhe rear of the heating chamber (the old one was cracked really bad)
  • Had the service guy out to look at the stove; he determined that the optical sensor wasn’t plugged in. That worked for two days.
  • Vacuumed out, unplugged, and replugged the new sensor. I suppose I could take it out and wipe it down, but that’s 30 minutes just to empty the hopper and undo the auger assembly.
  • Changed the thermostat from manual to auto. I read on this blog somewhere that the two settings use different voltage so I thought that light make a difference.
So that’s where I am right now. Fortunately we have a zoned furnace backup, but that’s 3 times as expensive on a monthly basis. Also, the store whose tech guy came out is closed today. Is there anything else I can do? I’m not tech savvy nor an electrician; I’m hoping any fix will not require either. Also; as the photo shows, the panel on the left side (as you’re facing the stove) is really tilght to the wall. I would like to minimize getting into that side of the stove as much as possible.

your thoughts?

3A2ECAF5-8258-4705-AE05-34DADE2CEA11.jpeg

Your auger isn’t jamming it is shutting off, it is designed to do that as a safety feature. Try cleaning the eye/sensor, that is what tells the control board the auger is moving.

You know this issue, so let me just tell you what I’ve done to try and fix this, to no avail:

• Replaced vacuum switch (helped a lot initially)
  • Replaced auger motor and optical sensor (ps; removing a stripped screw from the motor plate is no fun)
  • Cleaned out exhaust blower (yes I know; should’ve been doing that all along; didn’t realize it until reading the repair manual)
  • Replaced and regularly clean the plate in thhe rear of the heating chamber (the old one was cracked really bad)
  • Had the service guy out to look at the stove; he determined that the optical sensor wasn’t plugged in. That worked for two days.
  • Vacuumed out, unplugged, and replugged the new sensor. I suppose I could take it out and wipe it down, but that’s 30 minutes just to empty the hopper and undo the auger assembly.
  • Changed the thermostat from manual to auto. I read on this blog somewhere that the two settings use different voltage so I thought that light make a difference.
So that’s where I am right now. Fortunately we have a zoned furnace backup, but that’s 3 times as expensive on a monthly basis. Also, the store whose tech guy came out is closed today. Is there anything else I can do? I’m not tech savvy nor an electrician; I’m hoping any fix will not require either. Also; as the photo shows, the panel on the left side (as you’re facing the stove) is really tilght to the wall. I would like to minimize getting into that side of the stove as much as possible.

your thoughts?

View attachment 269619
I hate when they take a freestanding stove and try to make it work on the hearth. I had 1 I refused to service because it is partly in the fireplace and you cant get to the back of it without pulling in out into the room. It was a Harman XXV. 300-400 lb cast iron stove.

Your auger isn’t jamming it is shutting off, it is designed to do that as a safety feature. Try cleaning the eye/sensor, that is what tells the control board the auger is moving.
Thing is, it’s a brand new sensor. And motor. Shouldn’t it come out of the box clean?

I hate when they take a freestanding stove and try to make it work on the hearth. I had 1 I refused to service because it is partly in the fireplace and you cant get to the back of it without pulling in out into the room. It was a Harman XXV. 300-400 lb cast iron stove.
I feel for you; I spent an hour scraping my hands trying to unscrew the left side panel so I could unplug the auger motor. I only put two screws back in, it was so bad

well is there much dust and residual ash in the back of the stove? convection blower move a lot of air through the back area. if its brand new have the guy come and do it, should be warrantied.

Wiped down the sensor and snap disc with rubbing alcohol. First time it started up it gave me the ‘mused ignition’ error. I put a few more pellets on and unplugged and re plugged the stove in and got the auger jammed code again.

Wiped down the sensor and snap disc with rubbing alcohol. First time it started up it gave me the ‘mused ignition’ error. I put a few more pellets on and unplugged and re plugged the stove in and got the auger jammed code again.
Check the connections on the eye sensor at eh board and at the motor? Try unplugging both and plugging back in

Check the connections on the eye sensor at eh board and at the motor? Try unplugging both and plugging back in
Did that; didn’t help. What did was thoroughly cleaning everything. Then it worked.....for 24 hours, and the auger jammed code came up again.

one new bit of data; the auger was over feeding the firepot when it shut down. Now we are using hardwood pellets, but in another thread someone suggested changing the fuel setting to ‘utility’, to get the system to auto clean more often. Is that a worthwhile suggestion?

Did that; didn’t help. What did was thoroughly cleaning everything. Then it worked.....for 24 hours, and the auger jammed code came up again.

one new bit of data; the auger was over feeding the firepot when it shut down. Now we are using hardwood pellets, but in another thread someone suggested changing the fuel setting to ‘utility’, to get the system to auto clean more often. Is that a worthwhile suggestion?
Never mind; tried it and no luck

Final update; had the service guy out twice, and the second time he said; the pellets Are too long and poor quality. So we’ve been buying pellets from the stove store directly (only $1 more per bag which isn’t so bad), and that worked. Which seems odd to me, because the pellets that threw the my Vernon stove for a loop worked just fine in the Castile stove. Is that a common thing?