Mt. Vernon squealing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

t4tr

Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2007
Maine
When my Quadra Fire Mt. Vernon goes into self cleaning mode, it usually makes a high pitch squealing. Kind of like metal on metal, maybe the door sliding open I am thinking. Anyone else experience this before?? Know of a fix??

Thanks as always.

Its the autoclean pot sliding on the rails underneath. I worked on a customers who's was self installed and got a lot of water on it, everything was rusted. You can get the autoclean tray out without too much trouble, here is what I discovered.

1) Make sure the igniter is COOL
2) Take the top baffle / airfoil out
3) take out the two bolts in the firebox holding the burn put in, the one I worked on they had some sort of never-seize on them (I was surprised they came out).
4) lift and turn the burn pot out (igniter is still attached)
5) if you want to clean the pot really good unhook the igniter and take it out, otherwise just rest it in there someplace
6) take out cotter pin from autoclean arm, take note of how its in.
7) lift rear of autoclean off its rail and push back, this should also disengage the front rail.
8) tip the front down and slide it out (much easier said than done for me the first time)
9) Give everything a good cleaning (wire wheel, sandpaper, whatever works for you), Quad recommends NOT using any sort of lubricant because of the temps.
10) Note on the autoclean tray the point the arm attaches has two holes, the pin has to go through the rod AND these holes when you re-install it.
11) Put it all back together in reverse order.

Let me know how my instructions are, this is from memory and I only have done it once.

Status
Not open for further replies.