MTD 20 Ton Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
The old engine had a leak in the gas tank if you you put in over half a tank of gas so we had a Honda GX160 put on it. I did use it on some smaller stuff once we brought it back home, we'll see what it does with some bigger rounds later.

It does seem quieter than the old Briggs but I was expecting that. I did start some stacking and the we received a call it was done, I had just brought it over to the dealer this morning and the engine came in after I had left so they put it on.

The first picture is the load of smaller rounds I was going to stack just before we got the call from the dealer that it was done.

Attachments

• 1604630076882.png
    1604630076882.png
    652.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 104_1112.JPG
    104_1112.JPG
    504.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 104_1113.JPG
    104_1113.JPG
    481.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 104_1114.JPG
    104_1114.JPG
    281.2 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: VirginiaIron
After cleaning the wood stove pipe, I decided to change the oil in the new honda motor on the MTD 20 ton splitter. I was told after the first five hours of use you should change it.

A GX series Honda is a very nice addition to that splitter. Personally, I think I would have winced tossing anything nicer than a used Briggs or a Harbor Fraught Predator powerplant at that particular unit. Should run forever now!

A GX series Honda is a very nice addition to that splitter. Personally, I think I would have winced tossing anything nicer than a used Briggs or a Harbor Fraught Predator powerplant at that particular unit. Should run forever now!
The Briggs was my original thought but changed my mind on the phone. I see the Briggs that would've fit this unit has had a problem with the throttle lever breaking, hopefully it doesn't happen on the Honda.

It's about time for another oil change, how long should one wait to change the oil after warming up the engine?