MTD Splitter Ram Stopped "Help"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VtRv

Jun 3, 2008
Morrisville, Vt
I borrowed my brothers MTD Yardman 31 ton wood splitter. Everything was going along fine and the ram stopped in mid push. Now it won't do anything. I wasn't even splitting anything big. I checked the hydrolic fluid and it's full. I tried going vertical with it. I don't see anything jambed and the wedge is free and not bound. Anyone have any ideas?

So your saying the engine quit, right?

OK I take you checked ALL fluid levels now make sure the spark plug wire is snapped on tightly and there is no metal touching the plug which would short it out. Look of any evidence of a broken hydraulic lines, pools of fluid under the splitter or against the frame of the splitter.

Those splitters are pretty much bullet proof so don't panic it's probably a power switch issue or something simple that's not a total show stopper.

The engine is still running its just that the cylinder or ram that pushes the wedge stopped moving forward or back.

OK then thanks for clarifying that...huh I can't believe the pump could die out on that. Now I want you to eyeball the handle that engages the the forward to real lever...look where it's connected at the ball and socket connection. Make sure it's seated correctly, you may have broken a retaining pin that can be replaced with a nail.

There should be a coupling between the engine shaft and the hydraulic pump shaft. It is called a Lovejoy coupling that absorbs shock to the pump. Look at it and see if it broke.

Thanks guys I check both of those now. I think I see a new splitter in my near future.

No way...I can believe the splitter is shot. Take a break, get a drink park yourself by the splitter without touching it and think it through. Cause it was running good, no weird noises or smells.

edit to add...give your brother a rattle maybe he had this problem before.

So there seems to be a part floating around where the drive shaft and engine shaft connect. I'm looking for a manual on line so I can see what it's supposed to look like. It is a Yard Machine by MTD.

OK so you're on the right track ...that $30 part will be a lot less expensive than new splitter. Keep us posted on the solution and if it was preventable break down. Good luck

Thanks for the help in pointing me toward the source of the problems. I've found the part thats broken and believe it is the Flex Coupling which has three teeth that are now sheered off. Now to find one. It looks like I can order one on-line but I'd like to find a place where I could pick one up. Does anyone know where I might find parts for a MTD Yard Machine 31 Ton wood splitter?

If you have a TSC or Farm and Fleet or some other outdoor store they should have the spider. You'll just need to take along one half of the lovejoy coupling to match up the right spider. Better pick up some key stock too (3/16" or 1/4") because if the coupling moved you probably lost one of the keys and maybe a set screw.

The reason I think I want a new splitter is so that I don't have to borrow on and end up breaking it like I did this time. I have a load of logs coming and if I'm going to be splitting 8 cord of wood that I'd rather break my own equipment rather then somone elses. Of course I'll always fix anything I break but it's just the idea of it. Of course I know that once I buy one I'll have a dozen people asking to borrow it and someone's bound to bring it back broken..... lol

Vt, didn't you ever watch Axemen? Everything mechanical breaks down sooner or later...that's the nature of the beast. Your brother is very generous to let you use his splitter...so you help him with his wood some Saturday as a pay back. As long as it wasn't negligence that broke the machine it's not your fault. Just get that fixed so when your brother uses it it's golden and this way it ends up that your actually doing him a favor by it breaking down and getting fixed on your time.

You can order the whole Lovejoy coupler spider and all online from Grainger for very little money. Mine was under twenty bucks and arrived in two days. If there is a Grainer store close you can just pick one up.

If it is just the spider it is pocket change.

Savage of course your right and I appreciate you pointing it out. Garn thanks for the TSC tip. I called our local TSC and they told me they have the item in stock but were just about to close so I'll pick it up in the morning. This forum is an awesome resourse and I thank you all for your time and help. If not for you guys I'd be taking the splitter to my local mechanic begging him to look at it rather then picking up the part myself tomorrow and having it back in service by noon.

Be sure you have the right size Allen wrench. :)

Make sure your pump still turns freely. When mine went, it sheared because the pump was trying to lock up. I found the problem when I sheared the second one.

Status
Not open for further replies.