Muddy but we made it (w/pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Locust Post

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2012
Northeast Ohio
So after taking a 4 day weekend I was finally able to get out there and get at it. I wasn't so sure I was coming out on my own though after getting the truck loaded. Man its wet around here. I could not get to the Beech I had my eye on had to settle for about 75% White Oak,20% American Elm (smelled like the horses had been thirsty lately) and 5% Cherry. I wasn't going to cut down the Oaks originally but the dozer had been around them and skinned them up pretty badly. So here's the morning's fun. Sorry about the maul Quads I couldn't resist.

Attachments

• Birthday work 002.jpg
    Birthday work 002.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 698
  • Birthday work 003.jpg
    Birthday work 003.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 691
  • Birthday work 004.jpg
    Birthday work 004.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 674
Nice load of wood Locust Post, seems it has been raining since spring in your area.

zap

I was hoping to see mud!

smokinjay said:
I was hoping to see mud!
Sorry smokin.....I forgot to take the camera with me. There was plenty of it. It took 3 runs to get out of where I was at.

Was this a birthday party in the woods? Too bad about the mud but most everyone seems to have it this winter. Lots of dairy farmers hauling manure this past week and when they come out of the fields they leave a lot of mud on the roads. Reminds one of when they are pulling sugar beets in the fall; tons of mud on the roads.

boy thats some good lookin wood. sounds like fun!

Backwoods Savage said:
Was this a birthday party in the woods? Too bad about the mud but most everyone seems to have it this winter. Lots of dairy farmers hauling manure this past week and when they come out of the fields they leave a lot of mud on the roads. Reminds one of when they are pulling sugar beets in the fall; tons of mud on the roads.

Ha Ha My wife ask me last night when I told her I was going to try to cut some today if I was going to cut on my birthday. I said I may as well do what I enjoy on my birthday. Leaving in a few minutes to pickup a 3 foot sub and get my parents (they're in their mid 80's and don't like to drive at night). Then we can get to the b-day enjoyment with a house full.

The maul with the head up is "the Hearth.com standard" quads just started it :)
Happy birthday. :) :) Cutting wood keeps you young.
Could have been sunny & dry but, sounds like you had fun.
Nice looking rounds,
Looks like you could use some 12" side boards & window guard ;)

Nice mowed ""green yard "", (jealousy)

smokinjay said:
I was hoping to see mud!
me to lol. thought i was going to open up the thread to see a truck covered in mude

Nice load of wood.

Thanks guys.

Bogydave: no side boards for that truck as it was squatin' with that load. The old gray mare is getting retired soon hopefully. Got another one I'm working on just need to quit cuttin long enough to work on it and that is my quandary.

ecocavalier02 said:
smokinjay said:
I was hoping to see mud!
me to lol. thought i was going to open up the thread to see a truck covered in mude
Same here.....WE WANNA SEE THE MUD !!! (lol) :p

bogydave said:
Nice looking rounds,

bogydave, have you noticed when my splitter is pictured it is also standing straight up? :lol:

I've mentioned this many times before and here it is another pic of a pickup loaded with nothing but rounds from what appears to be the straightest part of the tree. Didn't that tree have any limbs??? Maybe its just the camera angle and all the crotches are underneath hehehehehe.

Happy Birthday Locust! Looks like you got some good wood there, that's as good a present as any. I am gonna have to do the standing maul thing now, too.......Quads would be proud!

Locust Post said:
So after taking a 4 day weekend I was finally able to get out there and get at it. I wasn't so sure I was coming out on my own though after getting the truck loaded. Man its wet around here. I could not get to the Beech I had my eye on had to settle for about 75% White Oak,20% American Elm (smelled like the horses had been thirsty lately) and 5% Cherry. I wasn't going to cut down the Oaks originally but the dozer had been around them and skinned them up pretty badly. So here's the morning's fun. Sorry about the maul Quads I couldn't resist.
HAHA! Nice.......!

wkpoor said:
I've mentioned this many times before and here it is another pic of a pickup loaded with nothing but rounds from what appears to be the straightest part of the tree. Didn't that tree have any limbs??? Maybe its just the camera angle and all the crotches are underneath hehehehehe.

WK : Actually this load the trees were mostly straight with some small limbs that stayed in the woods. But where I am cutting right now I have been leaving some of those real nasty uglys. It's hard though as I have always brought almost everything home and if it won't split I would cut it with the saw. I don't know if I'm getting smarter,lazier or just because I have access to way more right now than usual.

Backwoods Savage said:
bogydave said:
Nice looking rounds,

bogydave, have you noticed when my splitter is pictured it is also standing straight up? :lol:

I was going to mention that, but the obvious sometimes is better left said by the "vertical master" LOL :)
Some of us wonder if you tow it in that position. ?? :)

bogydave said:
Backwoods Savage said:
bogydave said:
Nice looking rounds,

I was going to mention that, but the obvious sometimes is better left said by the "vertical master" LOL :)
Some of us wonder if you tow it in that position. ?? :)

I'd say he probably has too......it's been in that position so long it may not pivot down anymore. :roll:

Locust Post said:
wkpoor said:

WK : Actually this load the trees were mostly straight with some small limbs that stayed in the woods. But where I am cutting right now I have been leaving some of those real nasty uglys. It's hard though as I have always brought almost everything home and if it won't split I would cut it with the saw. I don't know if I'm getting smarter,lazier or just because I have access to way more right now than usual.
Oh and one more thing, they are mostly the just right size. So then you confirmed what I thought. Your bringing home only the nicest stuff in size a straightness. Guess I'm just too stuborn to leave anything behind. I still bring it all in and deal with it. And yes the chainsaw does a fair amount of splitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.