mushrooming wedges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just a reminder from a blacksmith to always wear appropriate protection for eyes and body especially using mushroomed tools. Seen and had plenty of times where that metal on the edge shoots off at 100+mph and could easily injure someone.

As others have said, grind it off and smooth out. Bench, angle, file, sandpaper, whatever you want to use.

Not sure I'd recommend a torch on your tools since it will change the steel composition and could make it brittle or soft in the wrong places.

72A6A8FD-1D94-4BC3-BC47-A932E7479626.jpeg

These were for “automotive” use hence the sever condition! 4DC7AE7F-B715-41BD-93B9-A9BCAF745D53.jpeg

Reactions: stoveliker
Looks like I'm late to the party.

Here are the fiber disks we use at work, you can get them in 6" and 5" diameters, and they eat material, normal grinding disks produce grinding dust, these create metals filings. We typically just put them on top of a 1/8" grinding disk, they don't work if you are using the edge of the disk, but if you use the face they remove a lot of material very quickly.

This should fix your wedges in short order.

So, I ordered one, it arrived earlier this week. This morning I tried it out. Man, it grinds 3 times as fast as my "normal" discs. Took me half an hour to take off 4 sides each 1/2" overhang.

I'll be buying more. Thank you for the tip!

Just a reminder from a blacksmith to always wear appropriate protection for eyes and body especially using mushroomed tools. Seen and had plenty of times where that metal on the edge shoots off at 100+mph and could easily injure someone.

As others have said, grind it off and smooth out. Bench, angle, file, sandpaper, whatever you want to use.

Not sure I'd recommend a torch on your tools since it will change the steel composition and could make it brittle or soft in the wrong places.
When I was a youngster, probably about 5 or 6, my buddy took one to the chest while his dad was using a mushroomed wedge. It was like a bullet and embedded 1-inch away from his heart. Scary stuff...

So, I ordered one, it arrived earlier this week. This morning I tried it out. Man, it grinds 3 times as fast as my "normal" discs. Took me half an hour to take off 4 sides each 1/2" overhang.

I'll be buying more. Thank you for the tip!

You're welcome, I've used lots of gimmicky sanding/grinding disks before with less than impressive results, but these are the real deal.

Reactions: stoveliker